Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The future.... Gulp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And then there are the "OTHER" chargers....I use the phrase loosely.
Salisbury District Hospital has installed a row of BP Pulse 7kw chargers in an obscure place next to the Eye Clinic. The good news is that they work. But they are not really much use: waiting for my wife to complete her annual eye MOT in just over an hour I added £0.82p worth of electrons, tis just about supported the electrons consumed driving there and watching YouTube in the car.

It rather reminds me of my early days when I'd put £0.50p of petrol in my Motorcycle to get me home... 🤣
This is one of my bugbears about destination charghing. It HAS to be the future. Charging wherever you are driving to anyway but it also has to be smart. And have chargers at speeds relevant to length of stay:

For example: Hotels only need 7kw as you will charge overnight same with workplace areas for daytime. Cinemas 22-50 as you'll get a decent charge watching a 2 hour movie. Motorways need super fast chargers is you want to spend as little time there as possible.

Shopping centres/ town centres need a blend though. Some people will be popping in to pick up something small so need a fast charging option but some people will be spending all day there so need a slower option.

Teesside Park in the North East does OK at this. it has some fast and some slow.

This is one of my bugbears about destination charghing. It HAS to be the future. Charging wherever you are driving to anyway but it also has to be smart. And have chargers at speeds relevant to length of stay:

For example: Hotels only need 7kw as you will charge overnight same with workplace areas for daytime. Cinemas 22-50 as you'll get a decent charge watching a 2 hour movie. Motorways need super fast chargers is you want to spend as little time there as possible.

Shopping centres/ town centres need a blend though. Some people will be popping in to pick up something small so need a fast charging option but some people will be spending all day there so need a slower option.

Teesside Park in the North East does OK at this. it has some fast and some slow.
Exactly: to be useful the hospital chargers need to be 50kw, happy to pay but not wait overnight....

Reactions: Neilio
The article, though US-centric, has described the issues: Multiple networks, apps, charges, fee structures, subscriptions, unreliability, scarcity. The UK public charging infrastructure feels like the Wild West and it's very off putting. There are great swathes of the country with nothing over 7KW and I suppose that's fine for the journey but what if you want to use your EV when you arrive (on holiday, for example)? You can't easily drive for an hour to the nearest Supercharger.

We need legislation to enforce a single charging workflow, preferably with a PAYG model and capped prices. Otherwise, the move to EVs and away from fossil fuel is jeopardised.

Reactions: Sean.
I was driving through Shipley in West Yorkshire the other day and noticed BP have built a brand new petrol station, (IIRC built on the site of an old Suzuki dealership), TBH it stood out because I cant recall the last time I saw a new petrol station built from scratch opening. Great I thought surely they will have planned for the mid/long term and installed some EV chargers along with the 12+ fossil fuel pumps, another localish place for me to top up in an emergency..... err no and when I asked... no plans to install any!!! o_O o_O

I was driving through Shipley in West Yorkshire the other day and noticed BP have built a brand new petrol station, (IIRC built on the site of an old Suzuki dealership), TBH it stood out because I cant recall the last time I saw a new petrol station built from scratch opening. Great I thought surely they will have planned for the mid/long term and installed some EV chargers along with the 12+ fossil fuel pumps, another localish place for me to top up in an emergency..... err no and when I asked... no plans to install any!!! o_O o_O
There are 2 brand new petrol stations I have visited recently. Neither has an EV charger but both have large Sainsburys locals and things like Greggs, costa etc.
So I think maybe they maybe are planning for the future in so much as when they do add/convert to EV charging they have facilities to use while you are waiting. A couple of chargers now would not kill them though.

That's because they are c**ts!

The article, though US-centric, has described the issues: Multiple networks, apps, charges, fee structures, subscriptions, unreliability, scarcity. The UK public charging infrastructure feels like the Wild West and it's very off putting. There are great swathes of the country with nothing over 7KW and I suppose that's fine for the journey but what if you want to use your EV when you arrive (on holiday, for example)? You can't easily drive for an hour to the nearest Supercharger.

We need legislation to enforce a single charging workflow, preferably with a PAYG model and capped prices. Otherwise, the move to EVs and away from fossil fuel is jeopardised.
Government needs to focus on stuff that they (hopefully) already handle on doing and have the correct levers in place:

1. Ensure that National Grid have the transmission network scaling and the base generation capacity to charge up 30 million vehicles by whenever we get to 'net-zero'

2. Assist local DNO distribution grid capacity and way-leaves especially for multiple 400V/800V DC high-speed charging stations. 12 pumps sucking dino juice from a tank is pretty easy actually and you can site them (just about) anywhere. Masses of very big (and somewhat peaky) grid connections will be much tougher.

At the moment we have charging infrastructure for not even 5% of the total vehicle pool. A huge way to go!

Reactions: Washout
Government needs to focus on stuff that they (hopefully) already handle on doing and have the correct levers in place:

1. Ensure that National Grid have the transmission network scaling and the base generation capacity to charge up 30 million vehicles by whenever we get to 'net-zero'

2. Assist local DNO distribution grid capacity and way-leaves especially for multiple 400V/800V DC high-speed charging stations. 12 pumps sucking dino juice from a tank is pretty easy actually and you can site them (just about) anywhere. Masses of very big (and somewhat peaky) grid connections will be much tougher.

At the moment we have charging infrastructure for not even 5% of the total vehicle pool. A huge way to go!
As far as I understand the Grid has already confirmed that there is enough generation capacity for us all to be driving electric cars. The issues are all around your 2 category.