Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The glass roof is like having a giant heater which is always on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been in the upper 90s here in FL. No problems with the A/C. I just start it a few minutes before I leave and it's very comfortable. Yes the roof can get warm to the touch...so don't touch it. The roof cools off quickly when driving due to the airflow over it. Too cool the car more quickly when you are the only driver, turn on the passenger and rear vents as well as they will be off by default if no one is sitting in those seats.

I was also thinking it wasn't the best AC a week or so ago. We have temps in the 100s. Another user pointed out that if you open the HVAC controls and touch the passenger side, it will turn that vent on. It defaults to off when you're alone. Turning on the passenger side vent solved any complaints I had about the effectiveness of the AC. I have it set to AUTO and 66 or 68 degrees to be comfortable on triple-digit days.

• Love
Reactions: s373n
I was also thinking it wasn't the best AC a week or so ago. We have temps in the 100s. Another user pointed out that if you open the HVAC controls and touch the passenger side, it will turn that vent on. It defaults to off when you're alone. Turning on the passenger side vent solved any complaints I had about the effectiveness of the AC. I have it set to AUTO and 66 or 68 degrees to be comfortable on triple-digit days.
Try the turning on the setting for Recirculate Cabin Air. The AC won't have to work as hard, use less of energy. The Tesla Voice Commands "Recirculate" and "Fresh Air" make it easy to turn this setting on and off.

I recently took a road trip from Torrance to Oakhurst CA (outside of Yosemite) with my wife, one daugher and MIL. I have a Blue MY and have not had it tinted as of yet and don't have a sun screen. The temperature for most of the drive was over 100 with li with some portions over 102 and no cloud cover. I set the AC to auto, 68 degrees with recirculate on and the rear AC on. During the drive, my daughter complained it was first too hot and after she adjusted the rear center vent too cold. This included a 30 minute supercharger stop in Travers. The next day we drove into Yosemite and it was 101. No problems with the AC until we parked in the Curry Village parking lot for 4 hours. The car was an oven. I tried every trick I could think of to cool the car down but it just took time (about 20 minutes) before it was comfortable. Two days later we drove home through the central valley where the temps were over 100. We had no problems keeping the cabin comfortable.

FWIW, my wife, daughter and MIL really liked the view through the roof in Yosemite. I am very glad I did not get the sunscreen. I also noticed that the only time the roof seemed hotter than the front windshield was when it was parked in the sun in the Curry Village parking lot. For the drive home, most of the heat seemed to be coming through the windshield. At this point if I get a tint, I will just get 70% or higher for the front sides and windshield.

Last edited:
As a fellow very wise man (bald...) and living in Tucson I can tell you your issue is easily fixed with roof tint, roof shade, proper a/c adjustment, or some mix thereof. I've been in crazy heat and my wife has me direct the a/c away from her...

Reactions: Rocketir and s373n
Living in SoCal, I felt the roof shade to be a must have. With a roof shade, I feel that things have improved quite a lot. Not going to take it off until October. For my case, I go for hiking often. So, I will be all warmed up when I return to car. I seriously want a cool cabin once I enter the car. So, a roof shade made the difference.

So this week a spent a few days with my wife's MY and let me tell you the experience was less than pleasant.
It's been averaging in the 90s here this week which is typical for where we are at so nothing outside of normal temps.
Most of the time during these few days the vehicle has been uncomfortably hot, to the point of me constantly sweating in it.
While charging outside I was running the AC on 8, low, recirculate on. It was 79 in the cabin and you couldn't touch the roof inside for more than 2 seconds.
While driving around the city I had the AC always at least on 6, sometimes 8, low, recirculate on. Temps were averaging 78 in the cabin.
I was wearing a cotton polo shirt and cotton shorts, my entire back was completely wet from the damn seats.
Since I'm bald and 6'3 I can very well feel the huge amount of heat radiating off the roof and basically frying my brain.
One day I had the car parked at the airport (cabin overheat is on), had climate control started on low 15 minutes prior to departure and it was still 79 inside when I departed.

How are people surviving in places where the temps are above 100 is beyond me.
I am thinking of buying a sunshade at this point.
I work in Palm Springs and I had the same problem (temp set to 70F, auto) outside temp 125. My head was so hot, I thought I was getting sick from heat stroke. This went on for a couple of days until I installed a sun shade on the roof and it helped a lot. I am going to install film on the windshield and roof to help reduce the heat transfer. Try using a shade I think you will be happy with the results.