TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The Grand Tour (w/ the former Top Gear presenters)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gig103, Nov 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gig103

Gig103 Member

Did anyone else watch the series premier on Amazon Prime? As a huge fan of Clarkson, May, and Hammon's Top Gear, it's everything I was hoping it would be.

Bonus for the TMC crowd - the first episode focused on three hybrid supercars: The McLaren P1, Porsche 918, and Ferrari LaFerrari.

2. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Given Man-Made Global Warming, watching the GT is just surreal…

3. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Plan on watching all of them when I get a chance on my Amazon Prime :)

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

Love the show. He said some pretty disparaging things to say about EVs on the latest episode and believes petrol is the future due to inability to meet electricity demands of a fleet transition (referenced some UK stat about the utilities only producing a 5% cushion above daily use). I'm guessing they won't be featuring a Tesla on any future episodes.

5. Gig103

Gig103 Member

I don't think Tesla would hand one over for testing anyway, based on how they felt slighted and libeled after the Roadster was used in 2008:
    UK appeals court dismissed Tesla's BBC Top Gear lawsuit

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I would like to see that though. They love testing fast cars on the track. I'd like to see the S handle the same track used for some of the super-cars

7. Rolf68

Rolf68 Member

Tog Gear is not The Grand Tour. The new Top Gear Team tested the model X and the reviewer found it really awesome.

8. Gig103

Gig103 Member

I am aware of the differences, this is a Grand Tour thread. The article I lawsuit I referenced is from 2008 when it was Clarkson/May/Hammond hosting. I don't think Tesla would hand those guys a car for testing so I doubt we'll see a P100D in the hands of "The American" (who is awful).

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

The Grand Tour made another attack on EVs. In the latest episode Clarkson drives a sporty VW Golf and James May drives a BMW i3. Clarkson created all the tests and, surprise, May fails them all and they are the standard anti-EV nonsense: range anxiety, government support, and long charge times. So it was a passive aggressive attack. Not one positive of an EV was mentioned.

They also mention the Hyperloop without mentioning Elon.

10. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

It was disappointing. Clarkson repeated one of the stats stated in an earlier episode about power usage in the UK. Did James May really buy an i3 to take advantage of long-range electric driving? He must be a masochist.