Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The ludicrous claims of the uninformed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I would throw this out there for everyone that cares to read? Received this a couple of times from friends that are just as uninformed as the guy that wrote this email. I was laughing so hard I almost fell down. People actually believe this stuff because they have no idea of the energy consumption of a Tesla. They know it is powered by a battery, so they equate the battery consumption to be much like the 12V battery in their ICE car. It has very little power in it, so if you power things with your battery, it will be drained in short order. Anyway, here's the email. Feel free to laugh your arse off.

This is something that could actually be a disaster in real life.

This is a real possibility!
What's a person to do?

Imagine Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami. The Governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north. They all need to be charged in Jacksonville. How does that work? Has anyone thought about this? If all cars were electric, and were caught up in a three-hour traffic jam with dead batteries, then what? Not to mention that there is virtually no heating or air conditioning in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.
If you get stuck on the road all night;
NO BATTERY,
NO HEATING,
NO WINDSHIELD WIPERS,
NO RADIO,
NO GPS
(all these drain the batteries), all you can do is try calling 911 to take women and children to safety. But they cannot come to help you because all roads are blocked, and they will probably require all police cars will be electric also. When the roads become unblocked no one can move! Their batteries are dead.
How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam? Same problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams. There would be virtually no air conditioning in an electric vehicle. It would drain the batteries quickly.
Where is this electricity going to come from? Today's grid barely handles users' needs. Can't use nuclear, natural gas is quickly running out. Oil fired is out of the question, then where?
What will be done with billions of dead batteries? Can't bury them in the soil, can't go to landfills.
The cart is way ahead of the horse. No thought whatsoever to handle any of the problems that batteries can cause.
The liberal press doesn't want to talk or report on any of this.

I FEAR THAT THIS WILL BE ANOTHER INCIDENT UNDER THE HEADING,
'FAILED TO THINK THIS THROUGH!'

(Just like the withdrawal of Afghanistan)
Now to the reality of it all. A Tesla can hold (currently) between 70,000 to 100,000 watt hours of energy. A typical ICE car has a capacity of less then 500 watt hours. It takes my car (in the summer) roughly 260-280 watt hours to propel my car one mile. In the winter 300 if I use the seat heaters and not the car heater. If I use the car heater, about 330-340. It takes roughly 2000 watt hours to power either the A/C or heat the car for an hour, although my car utilizes resistive heating which, while 100% efficient, uses about 2000 watts an hour. The newer cars utilize a heat pump to create cabin heat and are about 300% efficient or more. So they only use about 735 watts per hour to heat the cabin. The LED headlights, tail lights and license plate lamps consume about 45 watts per hour. The car seat heaters use about 50 watts per seat/hour.

Your typical ICE car of 3.5 liter V-6 uses roughly 1/2 gallon per hour just idling not using either the heater or the A/C. So if we look at just keeping you cool for that three hour traffic jam, the average V-6 will use over 2 gallons of gas with the A/C running, more with a larger V-6 or V-8. During that same 3 hours in a Tesla, the car will consume about 6000 watt hours , or 6kW. The cost of 2 gallons of gas? Somewhere around $6-$8 where I live. The cost of 6kW is $0.60 in my area. How long before each car either uses a full tank of gas or all it's electrical power under these conditions? If we figure a 16 gallon tank, the ICE car (with the 3.5 liter V-6) will run out of gas in a little over 21 hours. The Tesla will run out of energy and shut down after 35 hours with the 70kW battery, 50 hours with the 100kW battery. If we look at winter conditions instead of summer and I had one of the newer cars with the heat pump, it would run out of power in about 135 hours instead of 50. The guy that wrote this drivel is obviously made of the same ilk as the conspiracy theorists out there and his claims are ludicrous, if not plaid. Pun intended.

It's Florida, so the Governor would probably require everyone to stay put and if anyone dared to suggest making evacuation mandatory would simply sue them in Federal court to stop it

...not sure what he/she/it means about the "withdrawal of [sic] Afghanistan", or what it has to do with Electric vehicles.

Your typical ICE car of 3.5 liter V-6 uses roughly 1/2 gallon per hour just idling not using either the heater or the A/C. So if we look at just keeping you cool for that three hour traffic jam, the average V-6 will use over 2 gallons of gas with the A/C running, more with a larger V-6 or V-8. During that same 3 hours in a Tesla, the car will consume about 6000 watt hours , or 6kW. The cost of 2 gallons of gas? Somewhere around $6-$8 where I live. The cost of 6kW is $0.60 in my area. How long before each car either uses a full tank of gas or all it's electrical power under these conditions? If we figure a 16 gallon tank, the ICE car (with the 3.5 liter V-6) will run out of gas in a little over 21 hours. The Tesla will run out of energy and shut down after 35 hours with the 70kW battery, 50 hours with the 100kW battery. If we look at winter conditions instead of summer and I had one of the newer cars with the heat pump, it would run out of power in about 135 hours instead of 50. The guy that wrote this drivel is obviously made of the same ilk as the conspiracy theorists out there and his claims are ludicrous, if not plaid. Pun intended.
Great info!

To emphasize, in a traffic jam a BEV is far more efficient at walking speed (1~5 mph) than ICE, so in worse case a BEV will still have motive power when an ICE car is out of gas. Another way, a low speeds BEV has greater range.

These are all Fox "News", Heritage Society, CNP - talking points - have heard them for 16 years since I bought my Honda Civic CNG 2006 and more intense once the Leaf came in 2015.
Most likely drafted by Heritage and the Koch brothers
The last 2 months its been old battery warehouses leaking into public water systems and might blow up like Berut Lebanon?
Oil and Gas industry is being underfunded now that 401K and retirements systems are divesting in fossil fuel equity instruments - they are getting royally angry!

Reactions: civicdrivr
This riles the QOP base up - including ex military and police officers who are its largest base.

QOP? you mean GOP? (I looked t up but couldn't find anything)

Yes it's amazing how some people are desperate to cling to old technologies. All that means though is that some other country (spelled c-h-i-n-a) will develop the new technology and corner the market. Really depressing if you actually think about it

I read that thread about the guy who got an X stuck on the beach (like he's the only person to ever do this right?) and the comments were so ... gleeful. Sure some guy had made a dumb move (who amongst us hasn't?) ... but it was an EV owner who did it, so it was the perfect opening for some ad-hominem attacks

Reactions: MontyFloyd
Specifically, Senate Bill 13 says Texas state agencies cannot invest state money, such as pension funds, in financial companies that “boycott energy companies.”
Yes - Texas - Home of Willie Nelson and King Abbott - lets hope the Kings reign is done and let someone like Beto take the helm.

The king has appointed many of those at Ercot and the Lower Colorado River Authority (via Bluebonnet electric Coop) that will provide power to the Austin Tesla Gigafactory - not Austin Light and Power.

QOP? you mean GOP? (I looked t up but couldn't find anything)

Yes it's amazing how some people are desperate to cling to old technologies. All that means though is that some other country (spelled c-h-i-n-a) will develop the new technology and corner the market. Really depressing if you actually think about it

I read that thread about the guy who got an X stuck on the beach (like he's the only person to ever do this right?) and the comments were so ... gleeful. Sure some guy had made a dumb move (who amongst us hasn't?) ... but it was an EV owner who did it, so it was the perfect opening for some ad-hominem attacks
I actually think they meant QOP. Qanon Old Party Or Q-anon Opposed to everything Party. Q-anon Out there Party

Last edited: