Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Nay Sayers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some info about those diesel generators powering camps, drilling rigs and sometimes oil refineries themselves

- A 2 MW diesel generator uses 196 g of diesel fuel to produce 1 kWh
- If the Generator used 1 L of diesel it would produce 4.3 kWh of power
- Theoretical energy contained in 1 L of diesel is 10.0253 kWh (or 34,210.3 BTU, each kWh is the same as 3,413 BTU)
- the Generator is 43% efficient (if you got this in school you would have failed)

each drilling pad requires over 150 truck loads of equipment to setup, bare minimum setup time is 1 month, to drill the well it takes 2 months. (it literally costs at least 1 million dollars to drill a well)
you have all those trucks idleing non stop so to make it simple even though the number will be conservative, lets say the diesel is consumption is 1.5MW continuous output at 43%
Drilling ops never stops, its 24/7 for lets say 3 months, and lets say by some miracle that one small well is full filling the whole 10,000 a day so that is 2160 hours of energy consumption

- 2160 hrs × 1500 kW = 3,240,000 kWh
- 3240000 @ 43% efficiency is actually 7,534,883.72 kWh!!!1
- 7,534,883.72 kWh / 10,000 = 753.49 kWh per barrel
- 753.488372 kWh per Barrel / 19 Gal of Gas per barrel = 39.66 kWh per Gal of Gas drilling rig requirements

going back to the argument above, the bmw needs 21.1 Gal to fill its tank which means.....

836.826 kWh drilling rig + 839.56 kWh Refining and burning = 1676.39 kWh

BMW has traveled 400 Miles (has not changed since no additional fuel was added)
Tesla has traveled 5916.66 Miles

i still haven't calculated the energy needed for seismic and other exploration requirements, also shipping and trucking the fuel to gas stations, and the gas station electricity consumption,

Here are the official numbers from the government of how much energy was used by the petroleum industry.

https://greet.es.anl.gov/files/petroleum

In reading through it I came up with the following numbers:

The "Update shares of process fuels" on page 4 says to refer to Table 1 for "Consumed inputs are the material inputs coming from outside of the refineries that are combusted or used in the refining process (e.g., NG, coal, and electricity in Table 1)."
Which then says:
Natural Gas (million cubic feet) 756,062
Coal (thousand short tons) 29
Purchased Electricity (million kWh) 46,227

That is over 46 billion kWh were used by the refineries in 2011. Though only 45% of the refinery output was used to convert oil into gasoline. Someone calculated that it was 83 kWh per vehicle or about .187 kWh per gallon. That is going with 12,000 miles and 25 MPG. I thought that was a fair estimation.

So a 15 gallon "full tank" has about 2.8 kWh electricity in it.

If the NG numbers are true then there is almost 1 cubic foot of NG used per gallon also.

836.826 kWh drilling rig + 839.56 kWh Refining and burning = 1676.39 kWh

BMW has traveled 400 Miles (has not changed since no additional fuel was added)
Tesla has traveled 5916.66 Miles

i still haven't calculated the energy needed for seismic and other exploration requirements, also shipping and trucking the fuel to gas stations, and the gas station electricity consumption,

When you get the rest of the data, you should compile it into a giant infographic :D

Here are the official numbers from the government of how much energy was used by the petroleum industry.

https://greet.es.anl.gov/files/petroleum

In reading through it I came up with the following numbers:

The "Update shares of process fuels" on page 4 says to refer to Table 1 for "Consumed inputs are the material inputs coming from outside of the refineries that are combusted or used in the refining process (e.g., NG, coal, and electricity in Table 1)."
Which then says:
Natural Gas (million cubic feet) 756,062
Coal (thousand short tons) 29
Purchased Electricity (million kWh) 46,227

That is over 46 billion kWh were used by the refineries in 2011. Though only 45% of the refinery output was used to convert oil into gasoline. Someone calculated that it was 83 kWh per vehicle or about .187 kWh per gallon. That is going with 12,000 miles and 25 MPG. I thought that was a fair estimation.

So a 15 gallon "full tank" has about 2.8 kWh electricity in it.

If the NG numbers are true then there is almost 1 cubic foot of NG used per gallon also.

Those ANL numbers only include external power inputs into refineries. They do not include the kWh from onsite power generation, fueled by oil and gas. kWh that could be put on the grid to do things like charge EVs. All kWh are fungible, so they need to be taken into account when calculating the total electricity input into refining a gallon of gasoline.

In other words, a 16 gallon tank has a lot more than 2.8kWh of electricity in it. I suspect AC1K's number of 6kWh per gallon to be closer to reality.