TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The new 2170 cells can be sold outside Tesla's cars ?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Aeronature, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Aeronature

Aeronature Member

I love Tesla's cars but for now I'm working for the electric recreational aircrafts and we need help !
    Since 3 years we created the first electric paramotor school and the electric propulsion set EXOMO.
    Flying electric needs a lot of energy and we actually building batteries with the best 18650 cells and it's just sufficient to have one hour of flight.
    The price of these cells is very important too, we need to decrease the batteries cost to be a real challenger between the gasoline engines.
    We are the future of aviation and we need help !
    Do you think that it's possible to buy the new 2170 cells from Tesla gigafactory ?

2. Bishop

Bishop Member

hmm now theres a thought .. using one of the cells to power my drone.. i think i have a new project

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The cells Tesla and Panasonic are building currently in the Gigafactory aren't suitable for use outside of a carefully engineered pack, lacking things like short circuit protection that are normally in commercial cells.

In the longer term, I think you will see 2170 cells available individually for general purpose use - I remember seeing an article last month about how Samsung was developing a 2170 cell of their own, suggesting to me that the size may catch on.

4. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I doubt you'll see Tesla sell the NCA 21-70s individually anytime soon. Tesla doesn't have much spare capacity at the Gigafactory for probably several years.

The fastest way to start using the 21-70s is to wait Model 3's to start getting totaled in accidents. Then you can just buy the packs at a decent price and use them for whatever. This should be later this year in the US, and probably closer to the middle of 2018 in the EU.

5. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Or buy a Powerwall2 and stick it in your airplane :)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

It uses the NMC chemistry, which has significantly lower energy density. They'd be much better off with 18650s using the NCA chemistry.

7. Bishop

Bishop Member

i dont know but i got a pocket electrical engineer i can ask

8. Aeronature

Aeronature Member

9. Aeronature

Aeronature Member

Something else, I already search used cells but they are electrically welded so it's impossible to dismantle a Tesla pack and have them in good condition...

10. miimura

miimura Active Member

Correct. If you are not able to use the whole module inside the Tesla pack, it's not practical to use the salvage packs at all.