Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new 2170 cells can be sold outside Tesla's cars ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Tesla's cars but for now I'm working for the electric recreational aircrafts and we need help !
Since 3 years we created the first electric paramotor school and the electric propulsion set EXOMO.
Flying electric needs a lot of energy and we actually building batteries with the best 18650 cells and it's just sufficient to have one hour of flight.
The price of these cells is very important too, we need to decrease the batteries cost to be a real challenger between the gasoline engines.
We are the future of aviation and we need help !
Do you think that it's possible to buy the new 2170 cells from Tesla gigafactory ?

The cells Tesla and Panasonic are building currently in the Gigafactory aren't suitable for use outside of a carefully engineered pack, lacking things like short circuit protection that are normally in commercial cells.

In the longer term, I think you will see 2170 cells available individually for general purpose use - I remember seeing an article last month about how Samsung was developing a 2170 cell of their own, suggesting to me that the size may catch on.

I doubt you'll see Tesla sell the NCA 21-70s individually anytime soon. Tesla doesn't have much spare capacity at the Gigafactory for probably several years.

The fastest way to start using the 21-70s is to wait Model 3's to start getting totaled in accidents. Then you can just buy the packs at a decent price and use them for whatever. This should be later this year in the US, and probably closer to the middle of 2018 in the EU.

The cells Tesla and Panasonic are building currently in the Gigafactory aren't suitable for use outside of a carefully engineered pack, lacking things like short circuit protection that are normally in commercial cells.

In the longer term, I think you will see 2170 cells available individually for general purpose use - I remember seeing an article last month about how Samsung was developing a 2170 cell of their own, suggesting to me that the size may catch on.

i dont know but i got a pocket electrical engineer i can ask

Of course we use protections for charge / discharge, fuse and we're packing all that in a fiberglass container.
We use between 200 to 350 cells for a battery, it's a powerful backpack !!!

I can understand that tesla is working for he's own production, but the electric aircrafts are good to communicate !

Comparated to a car, we don't need so much cells...

Thank you all for your answers !