Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Poor Mans All-Weather Floor Mats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heylo,

So I have had my Model 3 for a week now and I had been saving for years in order to afford the car in the first place. So if you’re like me, you surely weren’t ready to spend another $85 for the simple mats on Amazon, $145 for Tesla Mats, or $200+ for the MaxPider mats or similar. Also, Colorado winter is quickly approaching, so I just decided to make my own.

I got all of the parts from Home Depot. Everything in total was $20 and that’s a price I was willing to pay for now. I got a $15 24” x 120” roll of Traffic Master All Purpose Modular Flooring, and two packs of 12 Velcro Squares.

The only other items you’ll need are a sharpie or other marker to trace the shape of your cloth formats, and a pair of scissors. Pretty self-explanatory process.

Just wanted to post this for others just in case they are in a similar situation.

Okey doke.

CK

FA98AD6C-97C8-4ECB-829B-B29EB16BE521.jpeg A9CECE43-DB0E-4A8A-961E-5145C724EA90.jpeg 7F151804-D7ED-48E0-9E71-ABB981DA35F7.jpeg 24833618-DD19-4B12-85C7-9FD39FEA10FD.jpeg D9231CF4-1669-4B95-879C-DE1AD87415D5.jpeg 3ADF8CFD-920C-409F-9F43-73163403C651.jpeg 8E91C240-EBB9-49DE-AB93-CAED16083421.jpeg

While this is pretty slick for the cost and I commend you for your efforts... It's not going to do much in all weather conditions without a lip unfortunately. I guess better than nothing.

Those MaxPider mats are awesome, and yes, overpriced... Still worth the splurge though when you can get around to it or a sale comes back around.

Last edited:
Reactions: CullinKin
While this is pretty slick for the cost and I commend you for your efforts... It's not going to do much in all weather conditions without a lip unfortunately. I guess better than nothing.

Those MaxPider mats are awesome, and yes, overpriced... Still worth the splurge though.

Thank you kind sir. Yeah I hear you. The Amazon mats are the same with no lip. I was thinking of maybe getting some weather lining to make a makeshift lip. I guess my main goal was to not ruin the cloth mats while I save up for real mats. The MaxPider mats are amazing. But it also doesn’t help that they are sold out everywhere.

Thank you kind sir. Yeah I hear you. The Amazon mats are the same with no lip. I was thinking of maybe getting some weather lining to make a makeshift lip. I guess my main goal was to not ruin the cloth mats while I save up for real mats. The MaxPider mats are amazing. But it also doesn’t help that they are sold out everywhere.
I paid through the nose for a set the other day on eBay. Just got them today and was really super impressed. They will contain whatever nastyness you throw at them.

Yea, if you could find a way to make a lip, yours would be just fine. Without it, it's probably just going to run off into the carpet pretty easily while driving. Still A for effort though.

Just to wrap this up, I acquired some weather stripping to finalize these floor mats. I got two 5/8” x 3/8” x 10’ rolls for the front and a 3/8” x 3/8” x 17’ roll for the back. This brought the total cost up to $29. Not too bad and they are working pretty well.

Giggity.

A6B6ED4E-2CD5-449C-B55F-B8146BC046FB.jpeg DE7B525A-1604-4F2A-83EE-01B63C528811.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: DIAS
The Tesla OEM winter mats are not that great because they lack side wall protection you expect from WeatherTech which actually makes those for Tesla. If you want after market MAXPIDER has a better one but it’s not OEM. You made a very cost effective solution. Good job.

The Tesla OEM winter mats are not that great because they lack side wall protection you expect from WeatherTech which actually makes those for Tesla. If you want after market MAXPIDER has a better one but it’s not OEM. You made a very cost effective solution. Good job.

Thank you kind sir! Yeah I agree. The MaxPider ones are the best and I’m definitely saving up for those. I think/hope these will be sufficient for the mean time at least.

Heylo,

So I have had my Model 3 for a week now and I had been saving for years in order to afford the car in the first place. So if you’re like me, you surely weren’t ready to spend another $85 for the simple mats on Amazon, $145 for Tesla Mats, or $200+ for the MaxPider mats or similar. Also, Colorado winter is quickly approaching, so I just decided to make my own.

I got all of the parts from Home Depot. Everything in total was $20 and that’s a price I was willing to pay for now. I got a $15 24” x 120” roll of Traffic Master All Purpose Modular Flooring, and two packs of 12 Velcro Squares.

The only other items you’ll need are a sharpie or other marker to trace the shape of your cloth formats, and a pair of scissors. Pretty self-explanatory process.

Just wanted to post this for others just in case they are in a similar situation.

Okey doke.

CK

View attachment 349337 View attachment 349326 View attachment 349336 View attachment 349329 View attachment 349330 View attachment 349331 View attachment 349332
Love it! Love the creativity! Love the attitude! Well done!

• Love
Nice work! This is pretty good for people in drier climates, too. Do you have SKU or Model number for that mat? The closest I can find is this: TrafficMASTER 2 ft. x 10 ft. Black Rubber Flooring (20 sq. ft. / roll)-MT4000113 - The Home Depot

Thank you! That is a good point. You are right, I cannot seem to find it online and I no longer have the label. I’m sorry. All I know is it was the Universal Utility Mat stuff from TrafficMASTER. They had it in the flooring section and should hopefully be able to point you to it in store. I hope you can find it! Let me know.

Love it! Love the creativity! Love the attitude! Well done!

Thank you. :) I am glad you like it! I’m pleased with how they came out and how much money they saved me.

I went with the WeatherTech cut to fit all vehicle mats. They cover about 90% of the floor and were $30 at Costco. Importantly for me they didn’t smell at all. Disclaimer: Yes I live in California now though, where they are definitely enough but I used to live in the Midwest and I think they still would have been good enough for me... depending on how much you need covered I guess!

Good work and effort OP though and thanks for posting, I like the DIY style

Thank you! That is a good point. You are right, I cannot seem to find it online and I no longer have the label. I’m sorry. All I know is it was the Universal Utility Mat stuff from TrafficMASTER. They had it in the flooring section and should hopefully be able to point you to it in store. I hope you can find it! Let me know.

I went hunting for this today, and the link I posted in the past (TrafficMaster 2 ft. x 10 ft. Black Rubber Flooring (20 sq. ft. / roll)-MT4000113 - The Home Depot) is the same product.

I think I'm going to cut this for the passenger and rear seats. For my front seat, I'm going to find something softer instead lol. Maybe plush carpet remnant or a memory foam bath rug cut to size. Cheap enough to replace when dirty if it's too difficult to wash.

I went hunting for this today, and the link I posted in the past (TrafficMaster 2 ft. x 10 ft. Black Rubber Flooring (20 sq. ft. / roll)-MT4000113 - The Home Depot) is the same product.

I think I'm going to cut this for the passenger and rear seats. For my front seat, I'm going to find something softer instead lol. Maybe plush carpet remnant or a memory foam bath rug cut to size. Cheap enough to replace when dirty if it's too difficult to wash.

Nice, I am glad you were able to find the material and post it as well. Thank you!