Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The REAL reason I’m excited about the Model Y...it’s not the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased my X as my "last car" Reputation that it would go for 1 million miles with just a little maintenance.

Aluminum structure would never rust, regen braking make the brakes last a long time etc.

Now I am thinking I might be able to pull off a trade into a Y at no cost in about 3 years. Would get the new technology and greater range with probably an even $ swap.

Main reason that Tesla prices are going lower is that the cars are getting older. A 2016 model is of course selling for less than a 2016 was a couple years ago...it is now a 3 year old car, no longer a 1 year old car.

lol, I don't think guys like us will ever get a "last car," I Love my MS but after a few years (or months) I get bored and want something else, lol. I Just love cars and EV's make it hard to go back to ICE, so options are limited.

I chose to purchase a new 3 vs a used S for the tech reasons alone. I wanted the latest and greatest AP hardware. I think we are going to see cars with this kind of technology will change how we see depreciation hit.

I don't foresee them making the cars modular where you can easily upgrade the hardware causing the car to age very quickly. Look at the people with AP1 that were promised to get upgrades...we will always chase the latest tech. So I'm ultimately interested to see how this affects car prices

In the short run 0-5 years, not too bad. But wait till the technology becomes readily available. It will make these Models antiquated.

Price hit? oh, you mean the depreciation? Ouch, how much did it go down?
I understood the depreciation of buying a vehicle new. But after Tesla reduced the prices after the tax credit expired I've lost quite a bit more. All in I'm 70k, if I wanted to sell I'd be around 50k, I listed for 55k and was laughed at by many members here. And my car is only 3 months old with 1000 miles

In the short run 0-5 years, not too bad. But wait till the technology becomes readily available. It will make these Models antiquated.
I hope that's the case. But with Tesla getting rid of EAP and changing to AP or FSD they are even stopping existing customers from staying current. Now all of us with EAP will need to poney up for FSD to see any new developments and features

Is the X owner really going to want to do the downsize to a Y? Tiny in comparison if just a few inches expanded M3. I drive a mid sized SW, a Prius v (no longer made) and was stuck in traffic for 10 minutes yesterday. A blue M3 was directly behind me and I was admiring it but noticing how small it was by comparison. Most of the CUV/SUV models that are MPG economical have tiny trunk space in comparison to my wagon. I'm waiting to see an EV that I can get 4 people and 4 golf bags into comfortably for a 10 mile trip. Or 3 bags of trash and two big containers of recyclables. Or luggage for a two week vacation in another climate. Or a 6' driver, a 6'6" son, a 6'5" 300 lb son and a 5.6 wife for a 50 mile trip. Sloping rear of the M3 and the Y make that impossible.

Model X owners really won't Downgrade to a Model Y unless their needs change. If all is status quo, Model X is their car of choice. BUt someone like @Zer0t and @krouebi will 100% appreciate a Model Y over a Model X.

At the end of the day, EV cargo capacity over ICE wins the day.

Reactions: Zer0t
I hope that's the case. But with Tesla getting rid of EAP and changing to AP or FSD they are even stopping existing customers from staying current. Now all of us with EAP will need to poney up for FSD to see any new developments and features

Sorry to hear about that depreciation. I think its an automotive industry fact that a car loses 35% or so value in the first three years and compound that with all the Tech thats in these vehicles. SMH, I don't even want to know the numbers on my MS.

It's a tough pill to swallow but like everything else with a motor, we don't buy these as an appreciating asset. But I 100% Feel your pain.

Sorry to hear about that depreciation. I think its an automotive industry fact that a car loses 35% or so value in the first three years .
But I'm down 35% in 3 months not 3 years. I'm not complaining about this part. It's more about the feature set pricing being changed as well as EAP already "discontinued" so we already need to "upgrade" to stay current with updates and the features

Oh, yes. Exactly this. Even though there aren't many X:s for sale in Sweden at the moment, I'm thinking that the price will actually go down quite a bit.

However, I'm not really in shame. I might not fit in in the US with all the awesome trucks and SUVs - riding along in a Volvo V90 at the moment.

20181118_134512.jpg

But when the time and opportunity comes - I wish my eyes are looking at a reasonably prices Model X.

Reactions: Latorre
The style isn’t for everyone then again, that’s why we have so many successful car brands out there, to each their own.

Unfortunately, today’s EV’s are choc-full of Features. It won’t be till EV’s become cheap and readily available till you see one with the Bare Essentials.