Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to buy my first Tesla. What shoud I look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled the trigger today. There was ONE in the DFW that (mostly) fit our ideal:
  • Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  • 19’’ Gemini Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
  • Tow Hitch

I have a VIN and it should be ready to be picked up in about 8 days.

According to this document, this Model Y qualifies for the rebate.

Hi Tesla owners,

I humbly seek for some valuable advice from you. I am very new to the Tesla World and/or EVs.

I am about to order a 2023 Model Y shipped from Shanghai. I am concerned about the built quality that was mentioned online a lot in the past: body panel gaps, interior finish material and finish quality, less secure and sturdy ride feel compared to vehicles in the same price range, and doors and trunks don't offer a sturdy feel when being open and closed like a Toyota vehicle, etc.

What happens if I find any defects, even small cosmetic ones, during the delivery process? Do they rectify right away? Can I ask Tesla to replace the vehicle with another one if I am dissatisfied during the delivery?

I think EVs overcame many issues, they are now safe choices to purchase for a family and to drive for a long time. But some of my family members and friends are trying to convince us otherwise and say that we will regret it because the value will depreciate so quickly as tech for EVs will develop so fast so we will start to have way better EVs around in the next 2~3 years. I agree with them up to some degree but then how long is enough time to wait? What is your advice based on your experience? Should I wait longer to purchase a Model Y or an EV?

What I am concerned about more is repairs, in case of an accident and/or warranty repairs. Do you have any experience to share?

We live in BC, Canada. We hang out a lot in Richmond, I work in South Vancouver and will drive it to work from time to time. Some of my family live in Burnaby and Coquitlam areas (somewhat hilly). We take very few road trips to up north so we don't need a long driving range. I think RWD is good enough for us but my wife wants an AWD because she doesn't want to deal with snow tires. Is RWD okay or do you recommend AWD even just for the longer range alone?

Thank you for your time and advice in advance.
My 2023 LRY was built in Fremont, CA, and I don't know what difference that might make. But, it is categorically the best car I have ever owned, and I've owned some nice ones. So what if the windshield wipers wipe to their own drummer, the car slows at odd moments, and Elon is too busy getting to Mars to make good on our FSD payments?

Cost to insure a Tesla is high because of replacement and repair costs. $2600/yr seems to be about the average for the model Y.