Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a genuine Tesla trailer ECU and tow bar from Norway. Can confirm that it's plug and play. Works 100% no problem. The only thing it doesn't do is give you trailer mode. Trailer mode isn't that great anyway. Kind of a pain tbh.
Great. Did you get the tail from the ECU to the trailer plug as well and did you need to rewire it from 13 pin to 7 pin? I bought (or I hope I bought) both the ECU and a short pigtail to go from the ECU to the trailer plug but all they had was a 13 pin outlet version so I'm expecting to have to cut it off and rewire it to suit the 7-pin plug.

Great. Did you get the tail from the ECU to the trailer plug as well and did you need to rewire it from 13 pin to 7 pin? I bought (or I hope I bought) both the ECU and a short pigtail to go from the ECU to the trailer plug but all they had was a 13 pin outlet version so I'm expecting to have to cut it off and rewire it to suit the 7-pin plug.
Yes it came with the 13-pin outlet. I was planning to re-wire it to 7-pin, but ended up just getting an adapter instead.

I may end up just doing that as well. I'd rather a really neat direct plug connection but the risk of stuffing the wiring and the extra faffing about might lean me towards an adaptor. On the plus side I guess it would facilitate towing european trailers if I ever happen to take the car to the UK...

Reactions: corndog
And another happy customer!

9EB5B519-6F5C-4943-AF1E-6D6D34199C47.jpeg5BC215E2-FBAA-4441-A186-D17C46D073F1.jpeg

Well - approximately two weeks after ordering, my OEM trailer ECU and wiring tail turned up today. I won't be able to fit it for a week or so but at least the online store appears to be genuine and not a scam. I'll let you all know once I've got it all installed and running and just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't brick the car when I plug it all in!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeroy
I installed the hitch (one from Fredrick Machine Works) over the weekend. Reasonably straightforward. The most anxious stage was putting the cut-out into the lower rear undertray to access the hidden hitch. The electronics were straight plug-in but I haven't tested the lights yet as the output is 13-pin euro format and my trailer has the flat 7 pin arrangement. I have an adaptor coming which should easily solve that issue. With the rear bumper mounted again the hitch is invisible when removed and only very subtle when in place. It is quite low though to clear the bottom skirt so I won't be surprised it if cops a few scrapes when in use. Hopefully the adaptor arrives this week and I can test out the lights. The car hasn't raised any errors or codes or even acknowledged the addition of the trailer lights ECU and seems to be working normally at this stage.

Last edited:
Good news. The adaptor arrived and other than being very difficult to push the connectors together - the whole system works! I plugged in a light board and there were no errors or unexpected behaviours. In fact there was no indication in the car that anything is different at all. I'm super stoked that this has come together without any dramas.

I test drove a model 3 this weekend, loved it. But I left confused after speaking to a number of different sales representatives. I was told that having a tow hitch installed would void the warranty despite it be able to tow in US/Europe and being advertised as able to tow up to 750kg.
For those who have installed a hitch have you had any issues? or been advised that their warranty is void due to "risk" to the battery from being rear ended?

I test drove a model 3 this weekend, loved it. But I left confused after speaking to a number of different sales representatives. I was told that having a tow hitch installed would void the warranty despite it be able to tow in US/Europe and being advertised as able to tow up to 750kg.
For those who have installed a hitch have you had any issues? or been advised that their warranty is void due to "risk" to the battery from being rear ended?
Tesla SC folks are dime a dozen.. but there's a few silvers in there - when you find one just always ask for them.. otherwise your dealing with a revolving door of misinformation (hence why these forums are a better source) - it is rated and as long as done through one of tesla's body shops - fair trade will throw them consumer rights laws.

Like any third party accessory.. theres no overall car or battery warranty you can void, but if the new part you install causes the failure then that's on you.

If you put a sticker over the sensors, or your towbar wiring causes a short that blows the pyro fuse, that's on you.

And if you get rear ended that's an insurance issue not a warranty issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeroy
If it isn't already built into the design I'm sure suppliers will come to the market with options for the Y.

We've used our hitch a couple of times now including one longer trip with bikes. Its interesting to see them hanging out in the much higher airflow behind the 3 than our regular car where they sit in the slipstream of the vehicle. You have to tie the light board on much more securely and also anticipate the how the wind loads will push the bikes about as they move on the rack much more with the 3 than they did previously. No major issues though. Impact on range was difficult to judge as we were also crossing very hilly terrain. I'd guess a reduction of somewhere around 10-15% with 3 full size mountain bikes on the back but that really needs more testing to validate properly.