Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There is clearly something wrong with my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. After 3 weeks of ownership and being on the forums, my M 3 didn’t explode in a fireball of fire. After being on this forum for a while that’s what I should have expected. Ok let’s start.. there are zero rattles in my car, WTF? There have been consistent upgrades to the firmware …that have worked and if they didn’t work a 2 button reset fixes it. There are zero panel gaps and the car looks great. The sound system is phenomenal. I stream SiriusXM and it sounds great. Man what a nightmare this car has been. I love my car, and it has been simply awesome. I can’t think of anything else good about the car.

I could not be happier with my M3 and my Hope is that you all are just as happy. Thanks for listening.
I took delivery yesterday. Have only driven about 60 miles, but there are zero rattles, the panel gaps are actually really great (better than a Rolls Royce I was looking at in a tint shop I took the car to today). The only flaw is that the driver side of the frunk sits down about a millimeter too low, and the passenger rear view mirror had a paint flaw. Otherwise, all the paint was good, and zero quality issues. It's a 2019, not sure of exact build date. And holy *sugar* I love it so much!

Yup. After 3 weeks of ownership and being on the forums, my M 3 didn’t explode in a fireball of fire. After being on this forum for a while that’s what I should have expected. Ok let’s start.. there are zero rattles in my car, WTF? There have been consistent upgrades to the firmware …that have worked and if they didn’t work a 2 button reset fixes it. There are zero panel gaps and the car looks great. The sound system is phenomenal. I stream SiriusXM and it sounds great. Man what a nightmare this car has been. I love my car, and it has been simply awesome. I can’t think of anything else good about the car.

I could not be happier with my M3 and my Hope is that you all are just as happy. Thanks for listening.

Driving in LA I noticed a fellow m3 driver’s right tail light/brake light was out. At a red light I pulled up closer to see what was wrong since the light cover seemed foggy looking and it was filled with water. It hasn’t rained for almost a week. Literally the tail light housing was like a little aquarium, it just needed a goldfish in it. Rolled window down and told the driver. But wow, it was super bizarre seeing water sloshing around inside the tail light assembly.

Driving in LA I noticed a fellow m3 driver’s right tail light/brake light was out. At a red light I pulled up closer to see what was wrong since the light cover seemed foggy looking and it was filled with water. It hasn’t rained for almost a week. Literally the tail light housing was like a little aquarium, it just needed a goldfish in it. Rolled window down and told the driver. But wow, it was super bizarre seeing water sloshing around inside the tail light assembly.
Yeah there seemed to be some issues with some of the lights not being sealed correctly based on extensive hoovering of forums that I've done. This happens to many brands, and it seems to be a luck thing. I would be mortified to drive around with something like that, but thankfully it isn't that common.

Don't sweat it. You'll never make everyone happy. I think there's plenty of people here who see the humor in your post and appreciate it, myself included.

Now who's in for a class action lawsuit? I'm not sure about what yet, but I'm sure we'll find something soon!
Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

That’s fantastic. Fluffy snow is fine. It’s rain that gets in places it shouldn’t and then freezes that causes trouble. Luckily I have a garage. I’d hate to own the car without a garage. And I do have a backup for days I want to avoid problems.

My car loses more mileage than I drive some days. Partly because of the “cold weather” update that massages the charge port lock for 6 hours every 24 hours. Or bugs if WIFI is accessible, so I now keep WiFi off. There is a new charge port that has been released and OP might or might not have it.

Lots of folks have lost audio. Or lost bass and it’s random and not fixed.

Blinking high beams when it’s cold. Not to huge.

Broken signature lights.

A lot of cracked roofs.

Random black screens on backup camera. Also not fixed.

Lots of lost rear bumpers. Water / Sand drainage issue.

Watch out in downpours or car wash that water does not enter through the HVAC due to poor drainage.

Lots of ripped undercarriage linings.

NoA slamming on brakes. It can happen any time. Not just near underpasses.

Auto wipers don’t work. Auto high beams don’t work.

That’s to name a few issues to watch out for that there have been numerous reports on.

Just keep the car out of cold, or rain, or puddles, or sand , and ahead of other cars when using NoA (in case it slams on brakes) and don’t drive behind police with auto high beams on (my friend was pulled over for flashing his head lights).

The car is perfect, otherwise.
I finally found your post @mswlogo. You of all people have a legitimate cause to be pissed. I’ve had many of your issues and some still persist. But the one that really troubles me is the bumper falling off more than once. You are not the only person that I’ve read about in the forums that have had this issue. Please tell me about the ripped undercarriage lining issues. For me backup cam is spotty at best. I only have driven my car at night once. Last Saturday. Yup the auto high beams were spotty and sometimes flashed. The phantom braking is bad. I drive mostly on rural 2 lane roads and the braking seems to happen the most when there is a big truck in the opposite lane. I’ve lost audio of any kind several times. There are callouses on my thumbs as a result. I really hope your issues get or have been resolved. Cracked roofs? That’s not good. Keep us updated.
Thanks very much.
Carter

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Finally and let’s forget this thread. My humor is lousy. I now know that my brake lights will come on in regen. I know that I was too impatient with the little old lady who could barely see over the steering wheel braking for no reason when I was behind her. I drive mostly on rural 2 lane roads. The traffic is somewhat stop and go. I have learned to do the one pedal driving. I have to think I’m pissing off the guy behind me when regen is active. What do you guys think. Thanks to all for your comments and thoughts.

Great post.

Today is the 4th day of ownership of my model 3.
I think mine is not a lemon.
The only problem I have experienced is 'frozen screen' a couple of times.
It is not a safety issue so even that is a cool experience for me - a car with bugs.
I sold my 1st gen Leaf for this. Therefore, you can imagine how happy I must be to be able to drive more than 60 miles on a single charge. Seeing 216 miles on my App gives me giggles. (Charged to 90%)

Today is the 4th day of ownership of my model 3.
I think mine is not a lemon.
The only problem I have experienced is 'frozen screen' a couple of times.
It is not a safety issue so even that is a cool experience for me - a car with bugs.
I sold my 1st gen Leaf for this. Therefore, you can imagine how happy I must be to be able to drive more than 60 miles on a single charge. Seeing 216 miles on my App gives me giggles. (Charged to 90%)
Congrats. I’ve had a few issues too. A few reboots. Lost the FM radio on the first day. Yesterday I had no heat. 2 different kinds of reboot seems to
have fixed it. Yeah the car is totally software driven, so there’s bound to be issues, but software gets updated fairly regularly.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I’d expect nothing less. I went for the range rather than better winter traction. I may regret my decision when winter arrives. We’ll see.
I got itchy last fall, much to my wife’s chagrin. The AWD LR was much more than I originally told her. I justified an early purchase (before the RW LR i.e. waiting until now) because of winter driving and the $7,500 tax credit. Waiting for our taxes to come back from the accountant. Hope I was proven right. I look at this as the last car I’ll ever own. I’m 72 and if I get to 92 my kids probably won’t let me drive anyway. Happy camper be I.