Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There is clearly something wrong with my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a joke man. My car has been great. Read these forums and the car is a nightmare. Lighten up. Have no sense of humor? Sheesh.
And yup MSWLOGO you are probably right about jinxing myself. Honestly that’s how my life goes. I truly hope your car is a good one and continues to be good with no major issues. Have a good evening.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Lack of it going on fire is perfectly normal. I don't believe there has been even 1 reported incident of a Model 3 catching on fire yet.
It’s a joke Chrono. My feeble attempt at levity. I hope I didn’t offend anyone. I’m too new at this to be a fan boy. Have a great evening.

Hell I think you should join a class action lawsuit against Tesla. Once again another new owner has been mislead! Seriously, there are a few of us out here that so far have had absolutely no real issues with our Model 3's. But be warned, if you are very vocal on this forum about what a great car you have you will be labeled fanboy and your opinion becomes not valuable because you are obviously a member of the cult! Check out my video about Tesla cult Whinners and Bitchers on my website, LennyDoesRants . Enjoy your car.
Lenny does rants is freaking awesome. And you are an admitted member of the cult. There’s a Tesla meet up in Jones town Guyana, wanna go?
Great stuff from you !

Hell I think you should join a class action lawsuit against Tesla. Once again another new owner has been mislead! Seriously, there are a few of us out here that so far have had absolutely no real issues with our Model 3's. But be warned, if you are very vocal on this forum about what a great car you have you will be labeled fanboy and your opinion becomes not valuable because you are obviously a member of the cult! Check out my video about Tesla cult Whinners and Bitchers on my website, LennyDoesRants . Enjoy your car.

Oh Lenny! That was the best rant I've seen in 2019!

Masterfully done and straight from your heart! This is a "must see" for all the Tesla Whiners and Bitchers (and I think you know who you are). Don't pay another penny for professional counseling services from a psychiatrist when Lenny will provide more "straight talk" without the high fees of a professional! And admit it, you need the help below. Don't cop out and tell me how you like your psychiatrist because they offer support and understanding, believe me, that's not what you need to get better - you need straight talk from Lenny - He will set you free! I recommend X1.5 speed for maximum impact:

Thanks Lenny, you have restored my belief that there really are intelligent and reasonable humans who actually "get it" on planet earth! I was getting tired of all the entitled whiners and bitchers who probably grew up playing games where everybody got a ribbon, nobody ever got hurt or came in last place and a complaint to the teacher would result in an immediate remedy of whatever grievance they had.

My gut is sore from laughing - you hit the nail on the head! Now the whiners and bitchers will probably accuse me of advocating violence against nails! LOL!

To all I offended, tweaked or otherwise pissed off, I’m really sorry at my lame attempt at humor. Everyone on the forums has been extraordinarily helpful to me. For me if I had frequented the forums before I bought my car, I might not have considered a Tesla. Extremely short sighted of me of course, because I’m forgetting the thousands of owners who aren’t here. They drive their cars, plug them in at night and if there’s a problem they call service. Have a great week all. Shutting up now.

For me if I had frequented the forums before I bought my car, I might not have considered a Tesla. Extremely short sighted of me of course, because I’m forgetting the thousands of owners who aren’t here. They drive their cars, plug them in at night and if there’s a problem they call service. Have a great week all. Shutting up now.

Don't let the whiners and bitchers bully you into submission. Some of them just want everyone with a "wonderful" Model 3 to go away. Then they can continue to whine and bitch with the rest of the 2% of the whiners and bitchers (misery loves company).

It's a very "exclusive" club. ;)

So you’ve had it a whole 3 weeks and bypassed winter and you declare, what’s all the fuss about?

You mean winter, like this?

20190213_103744sm.jpg

No problem:

The P3D Model 3 has been my best winter ski car to date (and we had a real "arctic" type winter here in the North Cascades with all kinds of nasty weather). My P3D gets parked and charged outside all the time. No issues, in fact, better than my last two cars, a Mazda CX-5 and a Volvo S80 T-6. So I really have no idea what you're talking about unless you are referring to all the whining and bitching by the whiners/bitchers brigade, an absurd club that camps out on the Tesla forums to spread their unhappiness.

There are plenty of issues, some fairly serious that need to get resolved. Some with hardware and many with software that you WILL have.

I can't speak to your serious problems but no one I know in real life has anything like what you're describing. We bought one Model 3 in May 2018 and it was so perfect we bought another that September. It was as close to "perfect" as any car can be. No "serious issues" whatsoever. In fact, the actual "issues" if you could call them that, were so minor, so minuscule, I wouldn't even call them "issues". Like a minuscule dust particle embedded in the paint or a panel gap that varied by 1 mm from left to right (no, I didn't get out my micrometer, LOL). Both cars are gorgeous and have excellent road qualities, fun to drive, solid, relatively quiet without a single rattle. The performance is outstanding and the convenience is one of the best things about our Model 3's. No need to schedule service visits for at least two years (I rotate my own tires when I switch from Summer/winter tires and I fill my own windshield washer fluid). My wife and I wash them once every week or two and put some wax on every few months. We both love them and have experienced zero issues that an over the air update didn't resolve. And zero major issues. Neither one has needed to go back to Tesla, not even for a small issue. No car is perfect but neither of us has experienced anything this close to perfect in our 40 years of being motorists.

Last edited:
You mean winter, like this?

View attachment 392415
No problem:

The P3D Model 3 has been my best winter ski car to date (and we had a real "arctic" type winter here in the North Cascades with all kinds of nasty weather). My P3D gets parked and charged outside all the time. No issues, in fact, better than my last two cars, a Mazda CX-5 and a Volvo S80 T-6. So I really have no idea what you're talking about unless you are referring to all the whining and bitching by the whiners/bitchers brigade, an absurd club that camps out on the Tesla forums to spread their unhappiness.

I can't speak to your serious problems but no one I know in real life has anything like what you're describing. We bought one Model 3 in May 2018 and it was so perfect we bought another that September. It was as close to "perfect" as any car can be. No "serious issues" whatsoever. In fact, the actual "issues" if you could call them that, were so minor, so minuscule, I wouldn't even call them "issues". Like a minuscule dust particle embedded in the paint or a panel gap that varied by 1 mm from left to right (no, I didn't get out my micrometer, LOL). Both cars are gorgeous and have excellent road qualities, fun to drive, solid, relatively quiet without a single rattle. The performance is outstanding and the convenience is one of the best things about our Model 3's. No need to schedule service visits for at least two years (I rotate my own tires when I switch from Summer/winter tires and I fill my own windshield washer fluid). My wife and I wash them once every week or two and put some wax on every few months. We both love them and have experienced zero issues that an over the air update didn't resolve. And zero major issues. Neither one has needed to go back to Tesla, not even for a small issue. No car is perfect but neither of us has experienced anything this close to perfect in our 40 years of being motorists.

That’s fantastic. Fluffy snow is fine. It’s rain that gets in places it shouldn’t and then freezes that causes trouble. Luckily I have a garage. I’d hate to own the car without a garage. And I do have a backup for days I want to avoid problems.

My car loses more mileage than I drive some days. Partly because of the “cold weather” update that massages the charge port lock for 6 hours every 24 hours. Or bugs if WIFI is accessible, so I now keep WiFi off. There is a new charge port that has been released and OP might or might not have it.

Lots of folks have lost audio. Or lost bass and it’s random and not fixed.

Blinking high beams when it’s cold. Not to huge.

Broken signature lights.

A lot of cracked roofs.

Random black screens on backup camera. Also not fixed.

Lots of lost rear bumpers. Water / Sand drainage issue.

Watch out in downpours or car wash that water does not enter through the HVAC due to poor drainage.

Lots of ripped undercarriage linings.

NoA slamming on brakes. It can happen any time. Not just near underpasses.

Auto wipers don’t work. Auto high beams don’t work.

That’s to name a few issues to watch out for that there have been numerous reports on.

Just keep the car out of cold, or rain, or puddles, or sand , and ahead of other cars when using NoA (in case it slams on brakes) and don’t drive behind police with auto high beams on (my friend was pulled over for flashing his head lights).

The car is perfect, otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Don't let the whiners and bitchers bully you into submission. Some of them just want everyone with a "wonderful" Model 3 to go away. Then they can continue to whine and bitch with the rest of the 2% of the whiners and bitchers (misery loves company).

It's a very "exclusive" club. ;)
Awesome Stealth. Thanks very much.

Reactions: StealthP3D
That’s fantastic. Fluffy snow is fine. It’s rain that gets in places it shouldn’t and then freezes that causes trouble. Luckily I have a garage. I’d hate to own the car without a garage. And I do have a backup for days I want to avoid problems.

My car loses more mileage than I drive some days. Partly because of the “cold weather” update that massages the charge port lock for 6 hours every 24 hours. Or bugs if WIFI is accessible, so I now keep WiFi off. There is a new charge port that has been released and OP might or might not have it.

Lots of folks have lost audio. Or lost bass and it’s random and not fixed.

Blinking high beams when it’s cold. Not to huge.

Broken signature lights.

A lot of cracked roofs.

Random black screens on backup camera. Also not fixed.

Lots of lost rear bumpers. Water / Sand drainage issue.

Watch out in downpours or car wash that water does not enter through the HVAC due to poor drainage.

Lots of ripped undercarriage linings.

NoA slamming on brakes. It can happen any time. Not just near underpasses.

Auto wipers don’t work. Auto high beams don’t work.

That’s to name a few issues to watch out for that there have been numerous reports on.

Just keep the car out of cold, or rain, or puddles, or sand , and ahead of other cars when using NoA (in case it slams on brakes) and don’t drive behind police with auto high beams on (my friend was pulled over for flashing his head lights).

The car is perfect, otherwise.

I’m sorry you’ve had so many problems. When was your car built?

Except it wasn't "fluffy snow". You see, I had parked the fully warmed up car in a snowstorm, the snow melted and encased the entire car in ice before getting covered like you see in the photo. When I brushed the loose snow off there was a pebbly surface of hard frozen ice over 1/8" thick. With any other car I would have scraped for 5 minutes with an ice scraper because the ice was really hard. Instead, I just let the car defrost itself (without toxic idle fumes taking forever to warm up the engine block). This is how most of the winter went. I parked outside every night since our one car garage is filled with four motorcycles, a motorcycle lift and shop tools and there is no garage at our ski cabin where the car spent most of the winter.

Here's what it looked like immediately before I took the video:
20190214_1531sm.jpg

There are zero issues with parking the Model 3 outside in snow and ice. It's actually more convenient than ICE cars in the same situation because the heat is almost instant in the morning (without an engine block to warm up). As my video illustrates.

As to the rest of the problems you list, the only one either of our Model 3's have experienced was the occasional black screen upon engaging reverse. It afflicted both of our Model 3's about 10 times. There was no rhyme or reason to it that we could see. We haven't seen the black screen since at least three or four software updates ago. You can go on any car forum and collect a "laundry list" of supposed problems and the nature of Internet forums makes them seem more common than they are. Because most people just drive their cars and don't experience them (nor do they go to the forums to report zero problems).

Last edited:
To all I offended, tweaked or otherwise pissed off, I’m really sorry at my lame attempt at humor. Everyone on the forums has been extraordinarily helpful to me. For me if I had frequented the forums before I bought my car, I might not have considered a Tesla. Extremely short sighted of me of course, because I’m forgetting the thousands of owners who aren’t here. They drive their cars, plug them in at night and if there’s a problem they call service. Have a great week all. Shutting up now.
If you really want to piss people off on this forum say that you love the way the wipers on the Model 3 works.