Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to do when selling a tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I am helping a friend sell there Tesla. But we are unsure on what exactly we need to do at hand over? My assumption is ...

1 - Once he arrives at the p/x dealer he needs to factory reset the car to clear all personal data? (I assuming factory reset wont remove the key cards from the car though, but will remove phone keys etc...?)
2 - Remove the car from the account using the Tesla app?

I think that's it? Other than the normal V5 transfer etc ...

Thanks for any help :)

Cheers

Sounds about right. Not sure the factory reset removes a phone key. I’d probably remove the phone key before the factory reset rather than after but I’m not sure it matters.

After factory reset the car will show as being in Fremont until it’s driven again and the GPS updates.

Reactions: daveface
Just an update. All went well.

- Removed the phone key
- Factory Reset the car
- Removed from the Tesla account

Thanks for the help :)
Well, this is a bit late, but I threw your question to ChatGPT. Below is its response. Not bad.

Hello!
Here are a few steps you may want to consider when selling a Tesla in the UK:
  1. Firstly, ensure that all outstanding finance on the car has been paid off. This will involve contacting the finance provider and settling any outstanding payments.
  2. You will also need to inform the DVLA that you are no longer the owner of the vehicle. This can be done by completing the V5C registration certificate and sending it to the DVLA.
  3. Next, you may want to consider removing any personal data that is stored in the car. This can be done by performing a factory reset on the vehicle. This will remove any personal data stored on the infotainment system and other connected devices. Note that this will not remove the key cards from the car, but it will remove any phone keys that are associated with the car.
  4. You should also remove the car from your Tesla account using the Tesla app. This will ensure that the new owner can register the car on their own Tesla account.
  5. Finally, when handing over the car to the new owner, you should provide them with all relevant documentation, including the V5C registration certificate, service history, and any other paperwork related to the car.
I hope this helps, and good luck with the sale!

Reactions: daveface and Exy1
Remove apple, spottify personal accounts and favourites/recent destinations from maps. I had to do this after factory reset. It may be that they came from phone key or 'cloud' global profile, which like earlier poster said should be removed before factory reset. Leave your phone well away from car and use the key cards after reset!