Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to do before trading/selling [people who have already done so]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searching throws up lots of results, some of which slightly conflicting, so I'm looking for replies only from people that have been through the process of selling or trading their Tesla please.

As I understand it, I should do a FACTORY RESET from inside the car (does this allow the car to be used using the original 2 key cards?)

I believe I then need to remove the car from my account but I can't see where to do this on the web, can this only be done through the app?

Thanks

I should do a FACTORY RESET from inside the car (does this allow the car to be used using the original 2 key cards?)

My understanding is that car can still use the key cards after Factory Reset ...

... however my trade ins have been:

Go to Customer service desk, do the paperwork, have to hand over the trade-in keys at that point, get keys to new car.

Go to new car, check it exists! and that I don't reject it - otherwise I'll want my old car back

Then get my clobber out of the trade-in ... at this point it was locked. When to customer services, they were surprised "That's not supposed to happen", they did something on their APP, and I went to the car - which was unlocked.

Went to do factory reset - now the car has moved "ownership" to Tesla, so security allows "unlocked / open doors / etc." but not "steal it" (fair enough!)

Back to customer service. "We do that before we send to auction / lend out as a loaner / etc.".

"Thanks, but I'd prefer to do it before I do ... just Belt and Braces"

They had to come with me, to the car, use some sort of supervisor mode, and then I initated Facotry Reset" (and, in my case, assumed it worked!! and walked away - I think the reset is about 20 - 30 minutes)

So maybe, if confident that the new car will indeed exist (and you won't reject it) do factory reset on arrival, before you give the keys away - and run the tiny risk that you'll need to get the car back again.

All that, for me, was before "Cloud Profiles" which maybe makes all of that moot, these days.

Reactions: plisken
Personally, in that case, I'd not release it from the phone APP until it is loaded and ready to take away. Worse case phone would allow DRIVE (but there is a dashboard setting you have to make in order to allow that, so if that's not on (I expect not - after factory reset) might be worth turning that on before allowing the car to lock. Leave a door open whilst its doing factory reset ...

Hopefully someone has done it and will give you a more confident answer.

I traded my M3 LR 3 weeks ago.

I drove to the dealer (non Tesla) and performed a factory reset before heading in to pick up my new car. At this point I did not do anything on the app.

This still allowed the car to be driven using the 2 key cards.

You use the app to remove the car from your account + any cards details you have for superchargers etc.

I was only able to do this once the finance had been cleared but I was financed through Tesla. This may be different if you have 3rd party finance in place (or you own the car). I was able to do this within 1/2 days of getting an email from Tesla confirming I no longer had any finance commitments. This might be the tricky part as they don't answer calls, hardly ever answer emails and I had to leave 3 voicemails with them with increasing urgency and annoyance before someone emailed me to tell me the finance was clear.

I did have 3-4 emails after the finance was settled with conflicting information (yes its cleared, no its not, yes you've been successful, the request has been denied etc.) that were never explained. You just need to be patient and accept the customer service is appalling.

Hope this helps.

It's likely the car will be getting collected, so just need to make sure I can drive it a few hundred yards across the road and of course that they can move it from there.
A simple guide but may not answer various different questions of lease and trading over. But answers your query.