TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Think Elon will change option and allow lessee's to buy after lease... especially if car is MP3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tm3p-fan, Sep 22, 2019.

1. xxxholic

xxxholic Member

I was going to lease my M3 but after I learned I could not buy the car after three years, if I wanted to, I opted to buy. The other thing that factored into that decision, I wasn't willing to purchase FSD on a leased vehicle, knowing that I would likely have to turn the car in 3 years. Lastly financing wasn't much more of a monthly car note than leasing.

• Informative x 1
  2. johnny954

johnny954 Member

I was 2 days away from signing the lease just because I was trying to keep my payment as low as possible. My payment was only $59 more to purchase at 72 months. I needed 15,000 miles per year on the lease. Factor in the fed tax break and FOR ME purchase was the right choice.

• Informative x 1
  3. afadeev

afadeev Member

Tesla lease rates + residuals, and consequently the monthly payments, are relatively unattractive.
    Thus the majority of folks end up buying.

One of these days Tesla will figure out how and why BMW and Mercedes are generating 65+% of sales through leases, and will adjust:
    Which car brands do people lease or buy? | Cartelligent

Actually, one thing is certain - Tesla's prices and policies will change, and often.
    Frequently, via Twitter.
    :D

a

4. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

If Mercedes and BMW would reduce their MSRP's to match the 'hidden" price used for the lease payment, they'd sell a lot more cars than they'd lease.
    What you are seeing is a "hidden" discount in their lease prices, and the effect on their sales mix from that practice.

Run some numbers. A proper three year lease should have similar monthly cost to a 6 year loan if both are based on the same selling price.

5. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

Like putting a 95k residual on a BMW i8 lease when you can buy a 3yr old CPO for under $70k... Leasing rarely makes sense if you intend to keep a car.