Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about ceramic coating my Model 3 myself the day I pickup, is this crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I washed my 2 mo old Tesla with Dawn dish detergent. Then I claybarred it before polishing with Zaino.

Just want to say that the clay picked up no visible contaminants. Except on the wheels. I was amazed, because when I did a new Toyota 5 years ago, the clay picked up a lot of crap....

If new paint looks good enough, then whats the point of claying the car before applying?

DIY stuff is good for 1 year and professional grade is 3-5 years right?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just wouldn't want to clay brand new paint.

Cquartz UK it's rated at 2 years and if apply CarPro reload every 6 months it could last a lot longer.

Polishing a car easy and safe this days with an orbital polisher it just takes time.

Started watching some youtube videos and I am thinking to apply cquartz ceramic coating myself. Picking up a white model 3 Saturday and plan to do it the same day I get it home. Is this a bad idea? Seems simple enough and if the paint looks good enough for me from factory without major defects then I will go ahead for it.
Used the exact same product but you should do at least one round of polishing before applying. If you have a decent buffer it's easy just time consuming...

I just did my Pacifica Hybrid on the weekend with CQuartz UK 3.0. The car is one year old and has never had any TLC in the past, other than quick washes.
This was my practice car so I am ready to do the Model 3 when I pick it up this week.

The steps I took were:

1) Foam Cannon soak
2) Foam Cannon and wash with microfiber mit
3) Iron X decontamination, rinse
4) Clay bar
5) Polish with random orbital polisher
6) Wipe down with IsoPropyl Alcohol (50/50 mix with water)
7) Apply CQuartz
8) Skipped the CarPro Reload for now as I am saving it for my Model 3

The whole process took me about 6 hours to complete. The clay bar definitely got rid of a lot of imperfections.

Here are the results:

View attachment 304406

From where did you purchased all the materials