Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third party 18” winter wheel options for Model 3 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been going round and round in circles trying to work out what to do for winter wheels with the Tesla Model 3 Performannce (2023).

I’m aware that the hub shape is different to the other Model 3’s, and the brake calipers are larger. Both of these mean that oem tesla 18” wheels won’t fit.

One option is to buy a spare set of 20” Uberturbine wheels - the downside being cost and low profile not being ideal for winter tyres.

Another option is to get Tesla to fit winter tyres onto my existing 20” Uberturbines. Downsides being cost and hassle of swapping over and rebalancing the wheels twice a year (rather than a simple wheel swap at home which I did with my previous car) and again still low profile.

So potentially the best option is to get some cheaper third party 18” rims to allow a better choice of winter tyres, and that can be simple swapped over at home. However, this is where the problems start. There are some USA based brands that confirm compatibility with M3P (T Sportline and Titan 7) however they seem quite expensive in the UK. I found a web site called Mr Winter Wheels in the UK that sold a brand called Ronal that have German certification from testing with the Tesla Model 3 - however when I looked into it the manufacturer said it had not been tested with the Model 3 Performance.

Can anyone recommend any cheap(ish) third party 18” wheels that are confirmed to fit the M3P? (Preferably without any kind of adapters).

you can also get spacers like these:
They're designed to go over the lip so you can fit any normal wheel and spigot ring. they push the wheel out a tiny bit too which looks better as there's plenty of room.
Also I'm fairly sure the newer Tesla 18" aeros were redesigned to fit over the larger brakes.

I’ve been going round and round in circles trying to work out what to do for winter wheels with the Tesla Model 3 Performannce (2023).

I’m aware that the hub shape is different to the other Model 3’s, and the brake calipers are larger. Both of these mean that oem tesla 18” wheels won’t fit.

One option is to buy a spare set of 20” Uberturbine wheels - the downside being cost and low profile not being ideal for winter tyres.

Another option is to get Tesla to fit winter tyres onto my existing 20” Uberturbines. Downsides being cost and hassle of swapping over and rebalancing the wheels twice a year (rather than a simple wheel swap at home which I did with my previous car) and again still low profile.

So potentially the best option is to get some cheaper third party 18” rims to allow a better choice of winter tyres, and that can be simple swapped over at home. However, this is where the problems start. There are some USA based brands that confirm compatibility with M3P (T Sportline and Titan 7) however they seem quite expensive in the UK. I found a web site called Mr Winter Wheels in the UK that sold a brand called Ronal that have German certification from testing with the Tesla Model 3 - however when I looked into it the manufacturer said it had not been tested with the Model 3 Performance.

Can anyone recommend any cheap(ish) third party 18” wheels that are confirmed to fit the M3P? (Preferably without any kind of adapters).
Sent you a PM

Reactions: bilbomacuser
bilbomacuser: did you get sorted? I’ve been reading loads on this topic and feel like I’m also going round in circles.
I ended up buying some used after market wheels that someone had got through a group buy on Facebook. They’re 18” but with large enough space to clear the brake calipers, and they have the modification to fit the hub mount. I’ve had no issues with these wheels, but nowhere seems to sell them currently - the company in the USA appear to allow you to order a stock wheel and have them use their machinery to cut the recess to fit the Model 3 Performance.

In terms of what Tesla approve, their only recommendation is to use the 20” uberturbine wheels.

The best option that’s available in the UK appears to be the T sport line rims that are confirmed to fit the brakes and have the correct hub cut out. However they are expensive.

The other option I’ve read about is that some versions of the Tesla 18 or 19” wheels had the cut out at the back to fit the performance model, but this wasn’t an option they offered me or that appears be currently available but may be worth looking into.

My insurance company (LV) didn’t seem to care - I had to notify them about using aftermarket wheels, but because they weren’t larger diameter than the originals, it didn’t cost me any more. However, they indicated that I should notify them every time I swap the wheels over, which is a bit frustrating.

The aftermarket rims are exactly the same width as the Tesla 18” rims so I do plan to get the Tesla approved 18” version of the Pirelli Sottizero winter tyres. For now I’m using the Michelin Cross climate tyres that were already on the rims, though I had to get the TPMS sensors replaced for compatibility with the newer Model 3.

Reactions: spon88