Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new Tesla Model 3 18" Photon Wheels - load rating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious - has anyone seen what the load rating is on the new Model 3's 18" Photon wheels? (that is - the actual load rating stamped inside the forged wheel...)

The first-gen Model 3's 18" Aero wheels had a 700kg load rating, while the refreshed 18" Aeros had a 750kg rating. Thus, curious where the Photons pencil in. Tesla does have good close-up photos of them listed with the winter wheel/tire package, but no load rating and no shot of the inside!

Thanks!

1983906-00-A-01.png

1983906-00-A-02.png

Curious - has anyone seen what the load rating is on the new Model 3's 18" Photon wheels? (that is - the actual load rating stamped inside the forged wheel...)

The first-gen Model 3's 18" Aero wheels had a 700kg load rating, while the refreshed 18" Aeros had a 750kg rating. Thus, curious where the Photons pencil in. Tesla does have good close-up photos of them listed with the winter wheel/tire package, but no load rating and no shot of the inside!

Thanks!

1983906-00-A-01.png

1983906-00-A-02.png
Winter tires are even V-Rated. Tesla is fibbing when they said the 125 mph speed limit is caused by the tires. It isn't the tires.

Doesn’t matter.
Whatever that # is, it is far in excess of car weight divided by 4.

a
Thanks. The wheels have a load rating stamped into the casting - so curiosity about that spec on the new wheels should suffice as a reason to wonder what it is.

However, in this case there's a practical application as well: The minimum load rating for wheels on a Model Y is 750kg. Thus, some of us like to run the 2nd-gen Aero wheels from the Model 3 on the Model Y for winter wheels, were a narrower contact patch and increased sidewall is desirable. (Sizing the tires up appropriately.) The 1st-gen Aeros shouldn't be used in this application, since they're only rated to 700kg, but the second gen Aeros are rated to 750kg - which is the same rating the Model Y's UberTurbines. Doesn't mean that the first gen will crack at first blush, but when swapping wheels around, always better to pay attention to the technical specs.

Alas - I'm curious if the new Photon wheels will have the higher load rating, thus also making them a candidate for use on the Model Y. In that case, it does indeed matter very much.

Alrighty, ask and we shall receive! A Model 3 Highland Photon wheel finally popped up on eBay, so I sent the seller a message, and they were kind enough to send me a photo of the load rating.

It's 710kg. (Cue sad trombone... whomp whomp. I suppose it's not the new Y wheel that we'd hoped it might be!)

Attachments

• IMG_7730.jpg
    IMG_7730.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 23
Why would 710kg / 1565 lbs rating be a problem?
🤷‍♀️

Has Model Y recently porked-up from the rated 4,154 to 4,398 lbs to somewhere north of 1565*4 = 6260 lbs?

a

It's not an issue for the people that drive around with minimal load. It is an issue for those that haul cinder blocks in the hatch or haul trailers full of stuff or do the equivalent of packing the car inside and on top with people/cargo.

Curb Weight* Long Range Battery, Dual Motor: 4,416 lbs or 2,003 kg

GVWR** Long Range Battery, Dual Motor: 5,302 lbs or 2,405 kg

Gross Vehicle Weight Distribution - Dual Motor: Front 46% and Rear 54%

Gross Axle Weight Rating - Front 20" Wheels: 3,005 lbs or 1,363 kg (not a problem here)

Gross Axle Weight Rating - Rear 20" Wheels: 3,307 lbs or 1500 kg (710 x 2 = 1420 so it doesn't meet the max axle weight load on the rear)

Seems usable to me. Just don't load the hatch full of lead or load a trailer to max tongue weight.

Just gotta ask yourself "Do I Feel Lucky?' Well, Do Ya?"

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
After

@afadeev mentioned it....​

I'm now looking at this closer.....why is everyone saying 750 kg/ is the minimum? I was just taking this on faith. If peoples plan to exceed the GVWR rating of the vehicle to tow or load bricks? If so wheels are not your only concern. Springs and dampers also need to be upgraded.

5,712lbs is the Model Y LR GVWR rating, which includes cargo/people. That would be 5712/4 = 1428 lbs/648kg Minimum per wheel

1433lbs/650kg Wheel = 5732lbs GVWR so this seems like the minimum people need to drive people and regular cargo around.

I know TSportline offers 18" MY wheel replacements that are 750kg rated, but is that the only reason people are quoting that?

They also offer a 650kg rated 20" wheel in that list, but most of theirs are 700-900kg rated.

Seems like Photos rated at 710kg is adequate for a wheel swap, unless im missing some other math or engineering design considerations needed. Is it common to add a 25-50% safety factory by Automotive engineers OVER GVWR???

After

@afadeev mentioned it....​

I'm now looking at this closer.....why is everyone saying 750 kg/ is the minimum? I was just taking this on faith. If peoples plan to exceed the GVWR rating of the vehicle to tow or load bricks? If so wheels are not your only concern. Springs and dampers also need to be upgraded.

5,712lbs is the Model Y LR GVWR rating, which includes cargo/people. That would be 5712/4 = 1428 lbs/648kg Minimum per wheel

1433lbs/650kg Wheel = 5732lbs GVWR so this seems like the minimum people need to drive people and regular cargo around.

I know TSportline offers 18" MY wheel replacements that are 750kg rated, but is that the only reason people are quoting that?

They also offer a 650kg rated 20" wheel in that list, but most of theirs are 700-900kg rated.

Seems like Photos rated at 710kg is adequate for a wheel swap, unless im missing some other math or engineering design considerations needed. Is it common to add a 25-50% safety factory by Automotive engineers OVER GVWR???

Wheel load rating requirements are determined by dividing the vehicles heaviest gross axle weight rating by 2
It isn't right to do math of the whole car / 4.

You can check your car with 19" or 20" wheels and see what the door jamb label says, note the number we want is the GAWR RR for both 19" and 20". Which ever is higher is the goal but which ever is lower is a safe number.

1710794864715.png

The rear on the Model Y is going to see more than half of the weight, while the unloaded ratio is Front 46% and Rear 54% for the dual motor LR, where you put your passengers and cargo will adjust that ratio.

With that in mind yes, I think you do have to be over if comparing to vehicle/4 math.

Last edited:
Why would 710kg / 1565 lbs rating be a problem?
🤷‍♀️
The lowest wheel load rating that Tesla uses on the Y is 750kg, which is why many folks feel that's a fair target rating for replacement wheels on the Y.

Why? As per the above posts - the 700kg or 710kg wheel would probably be fine the most of the time. And I'd bet there's a wide margin of safety above the rated specs. But I wouldn't want to be the one who discovers the use case where the wheels almost worked. I'll hold out for wheels that are within Tesla's recommended load specs.

The lowest wheel load rating that Tesla uses on the Y is 750kg, which is why many folks feel that's a fair target rating for replacement wheels on the Y.

Why? As per the above posts - the 700kg or 710kg wheel would probably be fine the most of the time. And I'd bet there's a wide margin of safety above the rated specs. But I wouldn't want to be the one who discovers the use case where the wheels almost worked. I'll hold out for wheels that are within Tesla's recommended load specs.
What’s old is new again. The thread below has my 4-year old analysis on different loading configurations that would exceed a 700 kg rating. There are a few things I could clean up in it, but it still a good reference.

Bottomline, most typical loading conditions don’t get close to exceeding a 700 kg rated wheel on the rear axle.