Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This should be start of my buying process? Thanx Tesla see uagain in 2-3 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Name another car manufacturer that sells used cars.

Mercedes Benz of Manhattan. They are a corporate dealer wholly owned by Mercedes.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

They sell used cars in pristine condition. I know because we bought one a while back.

So yeah from another car manufacturer to just about the shadiest car dealer you can imagine sells used cars in this price range in a manner that is more fair, transparent, and reasonable than the awful mess that Tesla has created. Even the shadiest car dealer selling cars in this price range offers:
  • High resolution photos.
  • Refurbish cars they offer for sale.
  • Offer personal inspections and test drives.
  • Performs the next service due.
  • Disclose car history.
  • And many even offer satisfaction guarantees so that even after you take delivery, you can return the car within a certain duration and get your money back if you are not thrilled with your car.

What do we get from Tesla with the current awful mess?
  • You get to click on a button to request photos only to have that request ignored or receive photos the size of a postage stamp to base the decision of a $60K purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy
That’s really interesting, but for a different reason. I thought NY prohibits manufacturers from selling cars directly— that’s why Tesla had such a fight there and a law was passed allowing it but limiting the number of locations. So Mercedes had a previous exemption too? I wonder how the auto dealer cartel let them get away with that.

Back on topic, so there’s one location in the whole country where one manufacturer sells used cars? Kind of proves my point about how uncommon that is.

• Disagree
Reactions: darxsys
That’s really interesting, but for a different reason. I thought NY prohibits manufacturers from selling cars directly— that’s why Tesla had such a fight there and a law was passed allowing it but limiting the number of locations. So Mercedes had a previous exemption too? I wonder how the auto dealer cartel let them get away with that.

Back on topic, so there’s one location in the whole country where one manufacturer sells used cars? Kind of proves my point about how uncommon that is.

The topic being discussed is how awfully they are treating customers and what a horrible mess it is to buy a car not what an uncommon marvel it is for a car manufacturer to sell quality used cars in a reasonable manner... :p

Tesla used to have a CPO program where they fully reconditioned the cars to pristine condition. They lost their shirts doing that.

Now they just buy the trade in, fix any safety equipment and resell it at market prices.

Understand they are moving away from this due to the volume of details required. Now mostly run them through Manheim auctions.

Why would they want to even mess with used cars, when the success/failure of the company depends on selling new cars.

Tesla used to have a CPO program where they fully reconditioned the cars to pristine condition. They lost their shirts doing that.

Now they just buy the trade in, fix any safety equipment and resell it at market prices.

Understand they are moving away from this due to the volume of details required. Now mostly run them through Manheim auctions.

Why would they want to even mess with used cars, when the success/failure of the company depends on selling new cars.

Yeah you keep saying that. Somehow Kia can sell refurbished CPO cars for $20K and make a profit but Tesla can't sell used cars in reasonable condition for $50K and make a profit?

Yikes, just listen to yourself. Let's agree to disagree that this current mess with how awfully they treat customers buying used cars is the best Tesla can do.