Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on charging up in Socorro NM, taking routes 60 and 54 to Santa Rosa NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be heading back to Cape Cod from Tucson in very early May and will be trying a new route. It's only around 175 miles or so between the two SCs in question, but I don't know if I'll be going over a mountain as I'm unfamiliar with the area. Tesla is a MY LR AWD.

Thanks!

Rich

I think you'll be fine either way but according to Google Maps, the fastest route is through Albuquerque anyway so you might be making this unnecessarily complicated. You can just stop and charge at the v3 supercharger in Uptown ABQ.

But if you really want to take the route described you will probably make it fine anyway. You'll just need to charge to near full (90% should be fine) in Socorro. The elevations of the Socorro and Santa Rosa superchargers are nearly identical (you can get this information by clicking on the pins at supercharge.info), so there shouldn't be a significant issue with elevation. You do drive up over a 2,000 ft elevation gain ridge just east of I-25, but then you will regain most of that lost mileage with regen on the way down.

If you want to get an idea for the elevation gain/change on a particular route, a good hack is to click the bicycle icon in google maps, then scroll down and it will show you the elevation profile.