Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Socorro NM to Santa Rosa NM drive doable??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing an AZ to Cape run next week. First day's end is in Santa Rosa NM. I'd like to skip Albuquerque and take a short cut from Socorro NM, through Vaughn NM and on to Santa Rosa in our MY LR AWD. 170 miles distance with an altitude rise (and fall) of 1,400 feet. Would save 30 miles. ABRP won't let me do it (won't show the trip without routing us around Albuquerque). Not sure why.

What I "think" I should do is, at the Socorro NM SC put in the Vaughn~Santa Rosa route and see what the Tesla Nav says. Looks like a reasonable run to me, but just not sure.

Suggestions, comments or...?

Rich

I just put it in www.evtripplanner.com for my S85. You didn't mention what kind of car you have. It shows 170 real miles and only about 147 rated miles used. Net elevation gain is -3 feet. It looks pretty doable, but might require charging to a pretty high %. The routing may be recommending the other one for simple time purposes. Taking the extra 30 miles, but not having to charge up really high may be quicker, but you should be able to do either.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
... You didn't mention what kind of car you have. ...

Sorry about that; Car is a MY AWD LR, 2020 year, with +24,000 miles on the vehicle. I agree, I "think" this should be a non-issue. As I stated in my post, I'll plug in both my end destination as well as the mid-point of Vaughn and see what the in-car Nav tells me. My best guess is I won't have to put in more than 80% SoC, but as I mentioned, there is both a rise and fall of around 1,400 feet in elevation (which should even out).

Thanks,

Rich

I'll plug in both my end destination as well as the mid-point of Vaughn and see what the in-car Nav tells me.
Agree, good plan. What I think may happen is like this. When you first pull in there and plug in and try to route it, it will probably plot the route with the extra charging stop. But if you let the car charge up pretty high, it should eventually switch to the direct one. I don't know if it would automatically flip over to that. You might need to cancel and make it calculate the route again once the battery is more full.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
Agree, good plan. What I think may happen is like this. When you first pull in there and plug in and try to route it, it will probably plot the route with the extra charging stop. But if you let the car charge up pretty high, it should eventually switch to the direct one. I don't know if it would automatically flip over to that. You might need to cancel and make it calculate the route again once the battery is more full.
"You might need to cancel and make it calculate the route again once the battery is more full."

Yeah, I've seen the need to do that at other SC stops I've made.

Thanks,

Rich

ABRP won't let me do it (won't show the trip without routing us around Albuquerque). Not sure why.
I have a feeling you've already done this drive by now, but just in case, and for the future; I didn't have any trouble getting ABRP to estimate the route going through Vaughn after adding a guidepoint (in this case adding Vaughn as in intermediate destination does the same thing). The only caveat is ABRP doesn't have speed data on the 2 highways you'd be taking so you'd have to double check what it is estimating for speed.

As to why ABRP isn't showing the other route by default, probably because Google agrees it isn't the quickest route despite being the shortest. I agree it is most efficient EV route though, getting you there in essentially the same time and 20 some actual fewer miles. I was slightly disappointed that ABRP still wouldn't show this route without intervention when I lowered the SOC in Socorro i.e. to the point it was showing needing to supercharge in Albuquerque when the Vaughan route should've still been possible without stopping per ABRP itself.

If you don't want the car's nav to insert Supercharger stops automatically, you can turn off Trip Planner in the Navigation settings. That allowed us to see the charge remaining at destination while charging for distant Supercharger. Also good for entering all ABRP charge stops without the Trip Planner adding additional stops.