Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Threads too Long to be Useful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't make sense to have one mega thread for most popular topics. I have a '22 P and I'm not sure at what page to start reading relevant info. Guessing which page to look at is frustrating. Starting at the last page and reading 'backwards' is the best solution I can think of and even that stinks. Separate them by generation, year range, year, something. That goes for all these hundreds-of-pages-long threads. My car has almost nothing helpful in common with a '12 or '14 or whatever was the first year, S.

I completely agree. Merging a lot of threads together makes all of the data nearly useless. Threads tend to depart from the topic on their own anyway - mashing together a dozen different threads on similar topics certainly isn't going to help.

However! The search features does allow you to refine it to the open thread even if it is on multiple pages.

1638459087579.png

There's a balance to be struck for sure. I agree that I tend to tune out on the mega threads because they usually lose their usefulness.

That said, sifting through thousands of individual threads that are all some variation of "my car used to charge to 259 miles and now it charges to 256, is something wrong? I think I'm going to schedule a service appointment..." is equally frustrating and useless.

Reactions: JimmyB
There's a balance to be struck for sure. I agree that I tend to tune out on the mega threads because they usually lose their usefulness.

That said, sifting through thousands of individual threads that are all some variation of "my car used to charge to 259 miles and now it charges to 256, is something wrong? I think I'm going to schedule a service appointment..." is equally frustrating and useless.

I've requested the ability to set things to an ignore state but I don't know if that's going to get implemented. I've found it very useful on some of the other forums I visit. I usually just use the link to most recent updates and the top 50 or so are often mostly the same threads that I never read.

I know personally, I would rather start a new thread for that reason - even though it's the internet and I know the risks: someone is going to tell me there's already a thread or threads on it. I've always thought of a forum in the original sense of the word - a public meeting place to talk about ideas. If we all gathered in our togas at the FORVM and no one could ever say anything that hadn't been said before, it would be very boring and quiet indeed. In fact, any time two or more enthusiasts are gathered (of anything), a lot of the same ground gets trodden.... I know my dad and I still discuss the virtues of a triple SU carb setup vs the twin Stromberg on the jag KX engines, and have done so for decades. It's comfort food for the brain. So I tend not to mind the new threads and just pass over them if not interested.

I think some long threads are the result of that; people are afraid of being told their subject is covered on another thread, so they add to that one instead of creating their own. You're right ucmndd that there has to be a balance, I guess we each find our own. I like the suggestion above from LoudMusic to "Search this thread", I never thought about that. Of course, I also like loud music, so there's that...

Now, I wonder how long this one will go - can we get it to 100+? 👿

Reactions: LoudMusic
I agree with all the above. As a new Tesla owner (Model S LR), I wish there was a portion dedicated just to the Model S refresh, tips/tricks for new Tesla Model S owners, etc. Very hard to go through long threads and find answers and search does not always find them either.

Reactions: pabla
I agree with all the above. As a new Tesla owner (Model S LR), I wish there was a portion dedicated just to the Model S refresh, tips/tricks for new Tesla Model S owners, etc. Very hard to go through long threads and find answers and search does not always find them either.
I've thought this too. The new cars are such a radical departure from the original it makes little sense to bunch them up in the same forum sections just because they're both called "Model S". Truth be told, the refresh S has MUCH more in common with the 3/Y than any prior Model S.

The Jag forum is split up kinda like that, it works well; so if you have a 2013 XJ you aren't sifting through posts about a 2005... or 1989... or 1976....

Probably would make sense to split a model into its own subforum every time there is a major redesign.

I agree. I'm an Admin on a bunch of other forums and the sections and subsections on this forum REALLY need some work. The subforums need updating, Interior shouldn't be grouped with exterior. If someone moved threads to their correct sections, 90% of the threads in the open S forum would be in one of those 4 subforums.

I can't even go in the For Sale section anymore. Almost every post is about wheels. In April, I asked for a subsection dedicated to wheels so those looking for parts can actually find parts. Back in June after bumping the thread, I got "We are working on something there". It should also be broken up in to X/S parts and Y/3 parts.

You can't click on a member and find threads started by that person, only post. Crazy to go through sometimes hundreds of post to try and find any threads the person started.

I could go on... but if any mod or admin is reading this, I'd be happy to help...

Reactions: ucmndd and pabla