Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Thump" under hard braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is normal... but would love it if someone could explain what's going on. Whenever I brake hard, I feel a slight "thump" reverberate throughout the car's chassis. It's almost like the car's doing something to shift the brake bias around? Much more pronounced in the rain.

Do you think it’s the ABS cycling? Sounds like the right conditions.
I've felt this thump on my Model 3 before too and had it happen in another vehicle I had years ago under certain conditions. I think the front wheels are hopping during breaking when it happens. I know when it occurred on my Tesla, it was so extreme I had to pull over because it felt like something broke, but everything was fine.

Do you think it’s the ABS cycling? Sounds like the right conditions.
No - although if I push even a tiny bit harder, I can hear it starting to click. I'm still on the factory MXM4s, and it's been 15+ years since I've driven a car w/o some type of high-performance tires - their low limit still takes me by surprise. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Can you feel a slight click in the brake pedal at the same time? Is this a single occurrence that happens just the once, at the first heavy braking event?
Yes, although it's not very well-pronounced. Yes to the second question.

I'm guessing it's ABS-related? I've just never felt it come in that way in any other car, so I'm a bit puzzled.

Last edited:
I have had a couple of experiences where a kind of assist kicked in, like I hopped on close to another car, and the AI decided to “help”. This is something I’ve heard Mercedes advertise, but never heard it from Tesla. It thunked. But you’re not mentioning an accompanying hard braking assist.

Personally, I like the watermelon theory.

I have had a couple of experiences where a kind of assist kicked in, like I hopped on close to another car, and the AI decided to “help”. This is something I’ve heard Mercedes advertise, but never heard it from Tesla. It thunked. But you’re not mentioning an accompanying hard braking assist.

Personally, I like the watermelon theory.
No hard braking assist, as far as I can tell. I'm braking hard, but not full-on slamming on the brakes. I think a lot of modern cars have some sort of "emergency braking assist."

I'll check for fruits & vegetables

I think this is normal... but would love it if someone could explain what's going on. Whenever I brake hard, I feel a slight "thump" reverberate throughout the car's chassis. It's almost like the car's doing something to shift the brake bias around? Much more pronounced in the rain.

I never liked squirrels anyway.

I could never find the purpose for them until I noticed that they save my ABS from having to pulse.