Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time To Sell The Automotive Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If focus is truly on achieving the mission goals, then it's time to start thinking about selling automotive. A third party can expand "Tesla Motors" faster from here than Tesla on it's own.

FSD, GF1, GF3, and GF4 should all be bundled up and sold to Toyota or more ideally Apple for about $150B. Elon creates a new "Tesla Energy" entity which retains GF2, Supercharger network, Powerwall, all battery tech employees, and obviously the former SolarCity entity.

Stores, existing battery IP, Supercharger access, and a few other things would need to be "shared" in some capacity.

It's time to move on from transport and focus on Energy.
You should research energy policy and regulatory capture in the utility space. At this moment, it doesn't matter solar, wind, and batteries are cheaper than coal or nat gas. The energy services batteries provide are not appropriately compensated.

While the opportunity is huge, it takes time for these to grow into their potential. I see both auto and energy each over half a trillion eventually. That said, solar and energy storage is always going to be a more commoditized space.

FWIW, I got a model 3 and solar panels a few months apart, the car coming first. I did not choose Tesla solar because I got a better deal from a local installer. Forget 25% margins here. You'll be lucky to see 10% consistently for panels. And maybe 15% or so for the solar roof.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
If focus is truly on achieving the mission goals, then it's time to start thinking about selling automotive. A third party can expand "Tesla Motors" faster from here than Tesla on it's own.

FSD, GF1, GF3, and GF4 should all be bundled up and sold to Toyota or more ideally Apple for about $150B. Elon creates a new "Tesla Energy" entity which retains GF2, Supercharger network, Powerwall, all battery tech employees, and obviously the former SolarCity entity.

Stores, existing battery IP, Supercharger access, and a few other things would need to be "shared" in some capacity.

Sounds like someone wants to make a quick buck on their Tesla stock.

TSLA is sustainability, one moving forward drags the other. Sounds to me like a lot of folks here are more interested in being the top automotive company in the world than sticking to the mission.

18 months from now every car manufacturer will have irreversibly jumped on the path to EVs or will be on deathwatch. That portion of the mission will be past the tipping point and therefore "done".

Logic and economics dictates we should then move on to Energy, which is in the same place automotive was 8 years ago. If we're sticking to the mission.

It would be a clash of corporate cultures which do not match at all. I once worked at a small consulting firm of about 60 consultants and we were acquired by a Big4. In stead of booking plane tickets with my corporate card, I had to go through 3 managers to book a flight ( a flight which costs less than the time it took me to get it approved) The fridge in the kitchen which was always fully stacked, was replaced by a vending machine (I was 90% billable at an average rate of +$1500 per day, now you want me to pay a dollar for a coke while I work impossible hours? And you make a profit on that sale?) These small changes kill enthusiasm, innovation and motivation. My reply was a single finger, and it was not a thumbs up. Round peg in a square hole, doesn’t match. Your idea is a terrible one.