Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TIME's History of the Electric Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check it. . .

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1669723_1669725_1670578,00.html

The article is riddled with mistakes. To wit:

Page 1: The GM “Sunracer” should be spelled Sunraycer.

Page 2: The Chevy Volt will not “require a refreshing plug-in” after 40 miles. The whole idea of the car is that the range extender can power you further than 600 miles.

Page 3: The article says, “Clara Ford, wife of Henry, whose Model T all but decimated the electric car, drove a 1914 Detroit Electric. (What her husband made of the fact that she wasn’t driving a Ford is lost to history.)” He must have thought it was a pretty good idea. In fact, Mr. Ford bought a Detroit Electric for his wife in 1908, and then a second one in 1914.

Page 10: Michael Marks is not the founder of Tesla. Tesla was co-founded by Martin Eberhard and Mark Tarpenning, with financial support from Elon Musk. Michael Marks is the current CEO, having recently replaced Eberhard in that role.

Page 11: I would argue the Chevy Volt shouldn’t even be on the list, as GM have not yet produced a functioning prototype of it, and all the specifications on range and efficiency are merely a “wish list” of what GM hopes, or estimates, will be possible. The page is written in present tense as if the car already exists.

Tony,

Thanks for noting the correction to the Time article regarding Martin. As I have stated before, people rewriting Tesla history is one of my concerns. Martin is still at Tesla, and already his name is being removed from the history books. With articles like this one and the one in Vanity Fair, pretty soon Martin and Marc will not even be footnotes in Tesla history. I am Martin's wife and Marc's friend, and I am allowed to be annoyed about this!

Carolyn

Tony,

Thanks for noting the correction to the Time article regarding Martin. As I have stated before, people rewriting Tesla history is one of my concerns. Martin is still at Tesla, and already his name is being removed from the history books. With articles like this one and the one in Vanity Fair, pretty soon Martin and Marc will not even be footnotes in Tesla history. I am Martin's wife and Marc's friend, and I am allowed to be annoyed about this!

Carolyn

Martin, whether he realizes it or not is now a public figure. He is willing to interview and update his blog which thrusts him into the public eye further. I suspect all you can do is grow some thick skin, provide the proof and deflect the negative that you receive. I do think he's created a phenomenon that has stunned and interested a lot of people. That is impressive.

Yep... His personality shines as brightly as anything else coming from Tesla so far. (At least in terms of what people trying to follow the growth of this industry can see from watching what shows up on the internet).

You have to figure that he has been pushing a lot of things to get this far, so it isn't surprising to have some detractors along the way.

---

...Mark was a founder too, but you don't hear very much about him outside of the company...

Thanks everyone for your support. It means a lot to me and to Martin. However, be aware that I am privy to information that you are not. Suffice it to say that there are forces out there in the world who are working to discredit Martin and his accomplishments. This is why getting the history of Tesla correct is such a hot button with me. I am strongly encouraging Martin to write his story for our kids so that they understand Martin's contribution to Tesla.

I am not allowed to tell you what I know, so do not ask me to spill the beans!

This is why getting the history of Tesla correct is such a hot button with me. I am strongly encouraging Martin to write his story for our kids so that they understand Martin's contribution to Tesla.

You should both write it. Initially for family consumption only. Then, if it feels appropriate and things check out with the company lawyers, publish it more widely.