Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car glass doesn't prevent as much UV as most tints.....Windshields tend to have more protection....This all does depend on the car you have though.

Your meter was checking UV-A and/or UV-B? If you're getting 0, I doubt whatever meter you have....
My meter is NIST certified at =/- 10%, so the best one can get in the $250-300 range. There's a huge price delta to cut that 10% down lower, unnecessary overkill for testing car windows. What meter are you using that is more accurate?

Again, glass that passes visible light has a hard cutoff at 310 nm, quantum mechanics. Tint can't do better than that and adds nothing for UVB, but tint could pick up some UVA past 310 nm (assuming the car glass isn't already treated with something that takes care of the portion of UVA that the glass itself doesn't).

Upvote 0
My meter is NIST certified at =/- 10%, so the best one can get in the $250-300 range. There's a huge price delta to cut that 10% down lower, unnecessary overkill for testing car windows. What meter are you using that is more accurate?

Again, glass that passes visible light has a hard cutoff at 310 nm, quantum mechanics. Tint can't do better than that and adds nothing for UVB, but tint could pick up some UVA past 310 nm (assuming the car glass isn't already treated with something that takes care of the portion of UVA that the glass itself doesn't).
Why would we talk UVB though? Is that even a concern given car glass is going to block nearly all of it? A fair bit of UVA gets through normal car glass...less so on the windshield.....It all depends on how they've been treated but in general, they're letting a good amount of UVA in...and most tints will do a fairly good job of blocking it....

Upvote 0
Easiest path is tinting the front two windows 30% to match the rears. get a roof sunshade if you want to keep the interior cooler.
^THIS^

tesla.jpeg

Upvote 0