Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to match tint? Is windshield worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get my Y tinted. From what I’m reading, 20% on the front windows is what most recommend.

What should be installed on the windshield, hatch and back windows?

I want the side windows to all match, but want visibility for the windshield and hatch.

Any advice from others who have had theirs tinted with pics in here?

I want to get my Y tinted. From what I’m reading, 20% on the front windows is what most recommend.

What should be installed on the windshield, hatch and back windows?

I want the side windows to all match, but want visibility for the windshield and hatch.

Any advice from others who have had theirs tinted with pics in here?
20% is really dark. I did 50% on the windshield, if I did it again I’d go 70% to lessen the chance of a cop seeing the tint.

This might help.

IMG_1564.jpeg

I have 70% in windshield, 35% in front and 50% on rears. I wouldn’t go any lower than 30% for front sides. 50% on hatch is pretty dark but not that we can see much on day time through that tiny window anyway.
As far as i know the factory tint is around %20

I used Suntek CXP (been happy with them for 20+ years - value for the money and my local installer is amazing - it's not the high end heat resistance nor high end crazy expensive material) - I did 45 on the front sides, 35 on the rear sides, rear window, and roof, and 55 on the windshield. I was shooting for uniformity on the sides/roof and not too dark on the windshield.

45 on the front sides is about right. A little dark when taking corners in the neighborhood so I proceed cautiously but otherwise amazing.

35 on the rear sides, rear window, roof, seem to match pretty well...but I wish I had gone 45 - just for the effect of the roof and to keep the rear from feeling so dark. It's still fine, has the heat resistance I wanted, and I'm happy with it, and matches - and works if you're looking for uniformity (which is what I wanted and now I wish it was a little bit non-uniform).

55 on the windshield. This was the subject of much debate because this was the first time tinting my windshield. I'm very happy with 55. It has eliminated the crazy amount of heat I was feeling in the Y (the windshield is huge and I was often feeling the direct sunlight) and it doesn't feel dark to me, even at night. I don't see any issues when wearing polarized Ray Ban sunglasses and my valentine 1 gen 2 is picking up Boggies like nobody's business through it - both front/55 and rear/35.

No matter how dark you go on the windshield, it’s night and day difference. My brother’s 23 MYLR doesn’t have the windshield tinted and you can immediately feel the difference.
I think it depends on the brand/darkness. On my old M3 I put ceramic tint on the windshield but 90%. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference.

So when I got the MY I did more research and I discovered that the actual heat rejection varies by quite a lot from brand to brand even at equal percentages. Xpel ceramic is the highest rejection I've found. Still not sure if I'm gonna do the windshield just cause it's such a high cost to have done.

I did Llumar ceramic 80% on the windshield, 50% on the front sides, and 80% on the rear sides and trunk (keeping in mind that's combined with the existing tint). No roof.

Basically perfect IMO, haven't noticed any visibility loss and the heat rejection was instantly noticeable. I have a family, I'm not going to risk dark tint for looks.

Reactions: sdbonez