Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting front windshield: 50% or 70%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that did 70 or 80 for windshield and use polarized glasses and don’t see rainbow effects, what brand/line tint do you have? I’ve 3m ceramic ir all around and do notice that rainbow effect and that’s keeping me from getting my windshield tinted. Thanks!

I tinted a windshield on a previous car with clear 70%. I think it was a ceramic llumar. It was definitely darker at night and you could see rainbows with polarized glasses. If you really looked hard you could tell it was tinted.

When we had the windshield replaced I didn't retint it. I won't tint another windshield again.

Also being illegal where we are doesn't help. Not for me.

I had samples of Suntek CIR 50, 60, & 70 and decided to take side by side photos of each at night. I focused the camera on the untinted portion so it was a equal comparison. They are labeled on the photo. I hope this helps anyone else contemplating between these percentages.
IMG_5047.jpeg
IMG_5048.jpeg
IMG_5049.jpeg

@ebradway, did you manually set your camera to use identical exposure settings (shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc) for all the photos? Pictures can be deceiving as most camera adjust for the exposure so if the tint is darker, it will let more light in. Even using darker tint (for example 35%) could get decent photos that appear to present good visibility.