Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tip For Getting BT Key to Work Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At some point recently my phone stopped working consistently as a key (not sure which software update).

When I first got the car in December I could walk up to my car and open any door without having to do anything special with my phone. Now I have to take it out of my pocket and and hold it near the car about 50% of the time. This is difficult to do when carrying groceries or my children.

Any thoughts about what I am experiencing and a way to fix this?

Edit: I have an iPhone 11pro with the latest software and a 2020 LR AWD

Last edited:
The car has to hear the Bluetooth from the phone. That means that if something is blocking the path, like phone in back pocket or in purse, it won't hear as well.
You may want to just pause for a second before opening the door as well.

For me, there are times that it doesn't open when I try. In those cases, I just hold the handle out and readjust my body with butt toward car (I carry phone in back pocket) viola, the door opens.

The car has to hear the Bluetooth from the phone. That means that if something is blocking the path, like phone in back pocket or in purse, it won't hear as well.
You may want to just pause for a second before opening the door as well.

For me, there are times that it doesn't open when I try. In those cases, I just hold the handle out and readjust my body with butt toward car (I carry phone in back pocket) viola, the door opens.

I keep my phone in my front pockets so I’m generally always facing the vehicle. Now that I think about it it may be the causes by my change in attire. I weren’t from a company requiring slacks to one that allows jeans. Maybe the thickness of the jeans is causing issues. This seems strange since my airpods work fine regardless of where my phone is placed. I would have assumed (ignorantly, perhaps) that BT tech would be similar.