Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for garage door opener (not homelink)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have myQ app and can open the door through my app on my phone. I had the homelink on my model 3 when I got it back on March 2018.

Since I have the app, no really need to get to homelink. But do think have the garage device does the job. I would pay $300 for something else on the car like a dashcam or tint.

Reactions: Tesraki
I was able to find a loophole through making a button on my iPhone’s shortcuts to the MyQ app. It toggles the garage to open and close with the wireless MyQ garage opener kit.

So basically I tap a button on my iPhone every time I want to open my garage or a button on my Apple Watch.

I installed the Tailwind wifi garage door opener, and the Android app has a widget. It also integrates with Google, Alexa, and Siri. So, I can say: "Hey Google, close my garage" without touching my phone.

BTW, it also has the capability to open and close the door automatically when you depart or arrive. Right now, the auto-close is not great, as they only allow you to close it when you are at least 250ft away (for safety reasons). That's too far for me. They claim to be working on a way to close it sooner more safely. The auto-open works flawlessly. Tailwind also works with older garage door openers.

I created a iOS shortcut for doing it. So can also use Siri to open/close. Works "most" of the time.
I do not have it set for automatic/auto-close. One close call was one too many for me.

I think you still need to buy the smart garage hub for this to work right? I also have the myQ app and can currently open/close through the iphone app, but looking for something where I can just say "hey siri, open garage door."

I think you still need to buy the smart garage hub for this to work right? I also have the myQ app and can currently open/close through the iphone app, but looking for something where I can just say "hey siri, open garage door."

I have a myQ enabled garage door opener. I know the app also supports wifi garage door openers now, not sure if the shortcut works with it as it doesn't actually use the app. It does direct calls over https to the myqdevice api and logs uses your myQ account.

Attachments

• 20200822_131545.jpg
    20200822_131545.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,638