Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Damage /Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soo.. Collected my M3P end of March. Had a few things corrected but the paint has always been an issue, going back and forth with the dealer on that. Looks like cobwebs/swirls under the clear coat. They buffed it twice using a third party and now a Tesla body shop. Issue remains. Annoying they suck at paint jobs since it’s relatively low-tech compared to the rest of the car..

Problem I’d like advice on today however, a week after collecting my ‘better’ half took it to a car wash. I didn’t stop her, I heard all the warnings and all the other comments that it shouldn’t be an issue. That said Tesla have agreed to correct the paint on the whole car so what’s the worst that can happen.

One of the staff lined up the car and it got pulled through the automated part of the wash, soon after it gets going the car gets lifted into the air. When it comes out the other side a lump has been taken out of the front passenger tire in the side wall. Plus a mark left an inch lower on the wheel. Another mark same place on the rear wheel, no tire damage there though.

There was a witness who was chatting to her prior to the car going in, admiring the car and so forth and he’s willing to give an affidavit if things don’t get sorted out.

Owner of the car wash promised to make things right, but it’s taken a long time so far. Car had 200 miles on the clock when it happened, today it has 3K.

Question is, it is smart to only replace one tire even with low mileage. I’m sure even at 3K it shouldn’t be an issue but want to double check.

Im going there in a few hours to get the tire replaced and wheels refurbished. (If the wheels don’t look new post the fix I’m demanding new ones).

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 1621678195021.png
    1621678195021.png
    123 KB · Views: 77
Question is, it is smart to only replace one tire even with low mileage.
Not an expert, but the advice to replace tires is so they'll have even wear. Assuming the good tires are like new, it shouldn't be a problem. But I would defer to the advice of other, more knowledgable, members.
soon after it gets going the car gets lifted into the air.

Is Flying Mode ® an option or just one of Tesla's Easter eggs? :)

Last edited:
I've replaced single tires when the milage was under 10K for all.. No issues.. then again, I'm not drifting and chewing the tires to dust either ;). My SO hit an "awl" that looked to be the size for use in masonry on the freeway and it speared the left rear. That was two weeks after she was hit in the windshield on my bug by a flying "star" wrench that got kicked up by the car in front of her.. she had a real bad streak of luck for a few weeks.

Collected my M3P end of March. [...] took it to a car wash. [...] soon after it gets going the car gets lifted into the air. When it comes out the other side a lump has been taken out of the front passenger tire in the side wall. Plus a mark left an inch lower on the wheel. Another mark same place on the rear wheel, no tire damage there though.

That's a peculiar description - "car gets lifted into the air"? In a car wash?
How?

What exactly is the "damage" to the tire?
The wheel?
Pics (whatever you uploaded came out as a horseface)?

Owner of the car wash promised to make things right, but it’s taken a long time so far. Car had 200 miles on the clock when it happened, today it has 3K.
Question is, it is smart to only replace one tire even with low mileage. I’m sure even at 3K it shouldn’t be an issue but want to double check.
Im going there in a few hours to get the tire replaced and wheels refurbished. (If the wheels don’t look new post the fix I’m demanding new ones).

So, you've been driving the car for the past 2,800 miles, and it haven't decided to do anything about it now?
Are you sure there is any damage to the tire worth worrying about?
Just want to take advantage of the car wash owner's good will?

Any cosmetic wheel damage can be repaired, and tire damage sounds superficial rim protector rubber just doing its job.
That's all you have - superficial cosmetic blemishes, else you would not have kept driving on those wheels and tires for the past 8 months and 2,800 miles.

Good luck with demanding new wheels and tires from the car wash business. I doubt they will be foolish enough to humor you.

a

Reactions: rpiotro