Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire discussion for 22” rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any experience other than the Pirelli Scorpions? The Goodyear F1 AS3’s on paper at least appear to be a legitimate contender. I was curious if anyone is running a set of 4 of these. The cost is surprisingly lower than expected per tire at roughly 150-175 per tire for the 265/285 combination.

I appreciate the feedback.

Here’s my experience with Michelin Pilot 4S. have a ‘16 X P100D, 104k miles. Sofar I have only been using the OEM 22” Pirellis with mixed results. I hesitated in spending $2k for the Michelins. Have about 1000 miles on the Michelins now. I am a pretty critical driver and drive a lot. All I can say is WOW. Performance seems to be about same. But the Pilot 4S are super quiet. Almost amazingly so. Especially on concrete Freeways. Also on my weekly runs from Palm Springs to OC I have noticed I arrive at the office with a greater % remaning on the battery. After a few weeks now I have noticed that i gain around 5-7% in range with the Michelin’s. It basically takes me back to the range I had when the car was new. It does make sense. Noise is friction/energy so less noise is less friction and more range. I am not easily impressed but there is a reason Michelin gets away charging so much more for these tires. If you can get over the $2k then I can highly recommend the switch to Michelin Pilot 4S.

That's great to hear PVS. I just ordered a set online (22s) for about $1650. Getting them hopefully by tomorrow. I was worried about the noise part since it doesn't have the foam insert like the stock Pirellis but I keep hearing good stuff about the Michelins :)

Reactions: PVS
Any experience other than the Pirelli Scorpions? The Goodyear F1 AS3’s on paper at least appear to be a legitimate contender. I was curious if anyone is running a set of 4 of these. The cost is surprisingly lower than expected per tire at roughly 150-175 per tire for the 265/285 combination.

I appreciate the feedback.
So I have the Goodyear 22 tires on my C and have had a loaner X with the pirellis. I think I prefer the ride and quiet of the Goodyear’s, but there is a large efficiency hit with the good years. The same route on each tire, the Goodyear’s would go between 385 and 440 and the pirellis are 330 to 365. It is a dramatic difference. While not scientific, the weather was essentially the same and the distances are exactly the same (round trip).

weighing cost, noise, and handling, I still love the Goodyear’s ($665 installed for all 4 based on the Goodyear tire sale 3-4 weeks ago). I believe there to be much less noise and slightly better handling than the pirellis.

Continental DWS06 are solid

This if you'll drive in heavy rain and/or experience regular snow storms/freezing temperatures.

The best tires ever for my MX 22" — Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

This if you'll drive in mostly dry weather and/or experience regular rain storms/warm temperatures.

That's assuming you won't be swapping out. If you do swap out, the Michelin's do well in the summer and I'd throw Nokian's on for the winter.