Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Fit for 19" Gemini Replacements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning to replace my Gemini OEM Conti's with Vredestein Quatrac Pro's, based upon all of the excellent recommendations that they get as all-season tires in these forums (Spring, Summer & Fall for me). However, I was expecting Vredestein to have a an exact tire size match and was surprised when they didn't. I've searched the forums but couldn't find the exact tire size that people were using, so I'd like to confirm that the following tire will work well on my 19" Gemini wheels? The Conti's have a load rating of 104, where these are only 102, so I'd like to be sure that these are still within spec?

Vredestein Quatrac Pro
245/45-19
102Y
XL

Thanks in advance for your replies.

There must be a supply chain issue right now. If you search Tire Rack for replacement tires for a MY LR, they only have Vrdestein snow tires. You shoud be looking for 255/45 19 104 XL, not a 245/45 as you listed above. When I purchased mine back in mid-2020, the are an exact match for the Contis I replaced, including the 104 load rating. If you go to Vredestein's website, and look at all the sizes they offer for the Quatrac Pro, they offer a 255/45 19 104 XL, which was on Tire Rack until recently.

If you are looking at All Season tires for your Gemini, I would get these Conti DWS-06 Plus, which come in the correct size according to Tire Rack. They are ranked #1 in their category (Ultra High Performance All Season). I run these on all my cars, and have for a long time. If you go all season, it's these, or the Pilot Sport AS4... The vredestian are all-weather tires with the mountain snow flake emblem if that's what you are specifically looking for, but they are also a Grand Touring Tire... I've never liked any Grand Touring tires, as they all seemed to have pretty terrible steering response, at least compared to UHPAS tires.

Reactions: WyoDude
If you are looking at All Season tires for your Gemini, I would get these Conti DWS-06 Plus, which come in the correct size according to Tire Rack. They are ranked #1 in their category (Ultra High Performance All Season). I run these on all my cars, and have for a long time. If you go all season, it's these, or the Pilot Sport AS4... The vredestian are all-weather tires with the mountain snow flake emblem if that's what you are specifically looking for, but they are also a Grand Touring Tire... I've never liked any Grand Touring tires, as they all seemed to have pretty terrible steering response, at least compared to UHPAS tires.

The OEM Conti's have left a bad taste in my mouth as they are noisy, super stiff (I literally feel every small pebble in the road) and the foam inside must be coming loose as they cannot be balanced and the vibrations are all over the map. Now knowing that the Vredestein's have come in the matching size before, I think I'll just wait until spring, as I can swap out to my winter wheels here shortly, and hope that the Vredestein's will come back in stock and are not cancelled.

Thanks for your replies and recommendations.

The OEM Conti's have left a bad taste in my mouth as they are noisy, super stiff (I literally feel every small pebble in the road) and the foam inside must be coming loose as they cannot be balanced and the vibrations are all over the map. Now knowing that the Vredestein's have come in the matching size before, I think I'll just wait until spring, as I can swap out to my winter wheels here shortly, and hope that the Vredestein's will come back in stock and are not cancelled.

Thanks for your replies and recommendations.
Don't compare _any_ OEM tire to the tire's other models... A vast majority of OEM tires are terrible, because typically lots of things are compromised in the name of efficiency/fuel economy... For example, many cars come with Michelin Energy MXV4 tires as OEM, which is complete garbage, but that doesn't mean the Pilot Sports are garbage...

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
4BD19711-3B48-4D2C-BA80-0C09843C02C7.jpeg
Yea they are no longer available i guess this is when i got them back in may my order history

The exact fit btw as the garbage oem contis

I literally saw them last week on the model y while i was bored doing comparisons

Love the quatrac pros
Call tire rack and see if they are gonna have more soon or if it will be back

Reactions: Stach
View attachment 730718Yea they are no longer available i guess this is when i got them back in may my order history

The exact fit btw as the garbage oem contis

I literally saw them last week on the model y while i was bored doing comparisons

Love the quatrac pros
Call tire rack and see if they are gonna have more soon or if it will be back
I just chatted with Tire Rack and the 255/45R19's should be back in stock in December. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: WyoDude and dino007
I was looking also at the Vredesteins but curious about the DWS-06, how's the efficiency of those compared to the OEM Conti's? Have to admit the OEMS feel...squirrely to me but I love not having to supercharge on my weekly trip 250 mile round trip and afraid with a less efficient tire that I'd have to stop off for a charge.

Reactions: Stach
I was planning to replace my Gemini OEM Conti's with Vredestein Quatrac Pro's, based upon all of the excellent recommendations that they get as all-season tires in these forums (Spring, Summer & Fall for me). However, I was expecting Vredestein to have a an exact tire size match and was surprised when they didn't. I've searched the forums but couldn't find the exact tire size that people were using, so I'd like to confirm that the following tire will work well on my 19" Gemini wheels? The Conti's have a load rating of 104, where these are only 102, so I'd like to be sure that these are still within spec?

Vredestein Quatrac Pro
245/45-19
102Y
XL

Thanks in advance for your replies.
If you really do the math on the load rating that falls within spec unless you plan on piling your car with a full maximum load which you would probably never do so it’s really up to you. Of course car manufacturers are conservative so they never under size the load rating.

Tesla specs difference load index values for the Tesla Model Y depending on the wheel size.

19" Gemini - 104 (1984 lbs)
20" Induction - 101 (1819 lbs)
21" Uberturbine - 98 (1653 lbs) (front), 103 (1929 lbs) (rear).

Unless you plan to tow a trailer using a fully loaded Model Y then any of 101 to 104 might be OK. The 98 rating is only acceptable for the front tires on the 21" wheels on the PMY.

The Michelin Cross Climate 2 is another option but costs about 1/3rd more than the currently unavailable Vredestein Quatrac Pro. (According to TireRack ratings the CC2 performs a little better than the Quatrac Pro in snow.)