Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire & ground clearance on LR vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. The Y should only have about 1 to 1.5 inch extra ground clearance compared to the 3 to start with from what the manual says, and it only lists one height for the Y (so I assume a single number for both the LR and Performance version). However, on the Tesla order page it mentions lowered suspension... I wonder if it’s just stiffer and “sport tuned” but not actually lower...

I'm sorry -I meant the PuPY has 1 inch or so higher clearance than AWD 3.

I'm sorry -I meant the PuPY has 1 inch or so higher clearance than AWD 3.

Right. Tesla just lists one ground clearance value for the Model Y. So.... it’s assumed that single value applies to both versions of the Y. It makes sense your ballpark guess of about an inch or so, because I believe the 3 was like 5.8 inch and the Y was 6.5 inch or something, so that adds up. The only part that doesn’t make sense is on the Tesla web site where you order it says...

Includes:

• Increased top speed from 135mph to 155mph
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
So who know, maybe it’s lowered by like 5 mm and that counts as “lowered” but not enough for them to bother listing two values in the manual...

I talked to a Tesla Advisor today who said that while the ground clearance on the Long Range Model Y is 6.6", on the Performance trim it's 5.5".
Not quite. The advisor is confused. It's lowered about a half-inch, but it has bigger rear tires.

Ground clearance for MYLR vs MYP is measured in this thread:

“the lowered suspension from the Performance Upgrade drops the front by ~17 mm (down to 6”) and the rear by ~14 mm. But the rear is raised 8 mm by the taller 275/35 tires, so the net rear drop is ~6 mm (down to 6.3”).”

Reactions: Simans82