Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire package from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming I will be buying tire package from Tesla. Once they get the tires, will they rush to install it or can keep them for some time? Also, where are they going to put the current ones? I don't think all the 21" can fit into the back.

Um. Not sure what you're about, here.

As it happens, the 2018 M3 LR RWD needed new tires one day about three years ago. (The OEM tires from Tesla really didn't last..) I ended up buying four Michelin Climate II's from Tire Rack. They'll deliver to anybody; so I had them send them to a local AAA outlet here in Central NJ. They put them on for cheaps.

About a year later the front right found a rock on the road and tore the sidewall. And, as it happens, tires from Tire Rack come with hazard insurance. Got the paperwork together and they paid up the purchase price, not bad.

When the sidewall got damaged, I called Tesla's Roadside Assistance; the guy came to where I was some 30 or some minutes after the damage and swapped wheels with one of the ones in his truck. So, with Tesla in possession of the wheel with the destroyed tire, I had the new one I found drop-shipped to that Tesla Service Center, where they were happy (for a fee) to swap out the busted tire for a new one. When they were done, I showed up, they swapped the provided spare with my wheel, and I was on my way.

In general, when one gets new tires to replace old ones, there's a tire disposal fee that comes in there somewhere. Um. This is summer time. You're not playing with winter tires, are you?

Um. Not sure what you're about, here.

As it happens, the 2018 M3 LR RWD needed new tires one day about three years ago. (The OEM tires from Tesla really didn't last..) I ended up buying four Michelin Climate II's from Tire Rack. They'll deliver to anybody; so I had them send them to a local AAA outlet here in Central NJ. They put them on for cheaps.

About a year later the front right found a rock on the road and tore the sidewall. And, as it happens, tires from Tire Rack come with hazard insurance. Got the paperwork together and they paid up the purchase price, not bad.

When the sidewall got damaged, I called Tesla's Roadside Assistance; the guy came to where I was some 30 or some minutes after the damage and swapped wheels with one of the ones in his truck. So, with Tesla in possession of the wheel with the destroyed tire, I had the new one I found drop-shipped to that Tesla Service Center, where they were happy (for a fee) to swap out the busted tire for a new one. When they were done, I showed up, they swapped the provided spare with my wheel, and I was on my way.

In general, when one gets new tires to replace old ones, there's a tire disposal fee that comes in there somewhere. Um. This is summer time. You're not playing with winter tires, are you?
Summer is nearing the end and I am already eyeing for winter packages. My current ones are at 6k miles in and in superb condition, so I just wonder how can I keep the possession of my tires?

Ah. Now it all makes sense. You planning to set up two sets of wheels, complete with rims, and swap back and forth?

Pretty sure you could get two wheels in the back seat, two more in the trunk, especially in a Model Y.

Setting up TPMS isn't a big deal; customers like yourself can do that from the maintenance menu, there's a procedure.

As far as where to get it done: Any tire place can do it, you don't have to make a trip to Tesla unless they happen to be close by and/or are offering a Deal. Not like the bad old days when tire places didn't know about the rubber pucks that one is supposed to use at the jack points. In NJ, I've used Mavis Tire and AAA for tire work. Others on these forums have mentioned BJs. Anybody who does tire work can do the balancing.