Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Patchable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if this is patchable? Hoping that I does as Tesla Roadside just swapped out a spare 20 in gemini wheel onto my Model Y Performance just so I'm not entirely stranded.

Its awfully close to the sidewall / end of tire and only have 11k on the factory Pirelli's

Attachments

• tire puncture.jpg
    tire puncture.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 178
Just got a email/ alert in the Tesla app, looks like they want $ 508.95 to replace the tire.

Has anyone dealt with a punctured tire and declined their tire replacement cost? I'd imagine that they wont patch it due to liability/ safety reason hence them recommending a brand new tire

Since I still have their spare gemini wheel, has anyone asked for their wheel back only to take it to get patched/ another shop for a brand new tire?

You have three days to return the loaner Gemini wheel and tire. After that Tesla will charge your CC and you bought the wheel. Try Discount Tire or similar in LA. That puncture appears to be repairable, would be a permanent repair. If you have to replace the tire then you may need to purchase 2 tires as the original tires have 11k wear. If you have one new tire and one with 11k wear the Tesla Model Y may detect the difference in rotation as wheel slip and activate the traction control.

Thanks for the tip. I didnt review the entire PDF message they sent me but I tried calling them a few times since I had questions but Service Center didnt return my voicemails yet.

I contacted Discount Tire/ America Tires out here in LA and they have to order the wheel.

Wish I had a spare where I can drive on the donut while I patch/ get other quotes without Tesla holding my wheel/ credit card ransom

I had a similarly hole. I just used a auto parts store plug kit in the parking lot, the Tesla air pump, and have driven thousands of miles since. It's better to have the tire unmounted and patched from the inside, but I figured I'd replace my tires this winter, so I didn't bother.

Interesting, my tires are 1/2 way through their tread at 22k miles. They start with only 9/32 though. 4/32 is marginal for snow use, so I'm replacing them early. If it was summer, I'd go another 8-10k miles.

Thanks for the tip. I didnt review the entire PDF message they sent me but I tried calling them a few times since I had questions but Service Center didnt return my voicemails yet.

I contacted Discount Tire/ America Tires out here in LA and they have to order the wheel.

Wish I had a spare where I can drive on the donut while I patch/ get other quotes without Tesla holding my wheel/ credit card ransom
When you stated that Discount Tire / America's Tire in LA had to order the wheel, what is wrong with your factory wheel? Did Discount Tire state that they could not repair your Pirelli tire due to the location of the puncture or because there is a layer of sound treatment foam inside tire?

I had a similarly hole. I just used a auto parts store plug kit in the parking lot, the Tesla air pump, and have driven thousands of miles since. It's better to have the tire unmounted and patched from the inside, but I figured I'd replace my tires this winter, so I didn't bother.

Interesting, my tires are 1/2 way through their tread at 22k miles. They start with only 9/32 though. 4/32 is marginal for snow use, so I'm replacing them early. If it was summer, I'd go another 8-10k miles.
I might have to end up doing that. I have a plug kit but I imagine it would be weird for me to ask them for my wheel back so I can roll it to my trunk and patch myself and then tell them to change out the wheel back to my own. I have a feeling due to liability they would say no.

When you stated that Discount Tire / America's Tire in LA had to order the wheel, what is wrong with your factory wheel? Did Discount Tire state that they could not repair your Pirelli tire due to the location of the puncture or because there is a layer of sound treatment foam inside tire?
Discount Tire told me they needed to see the wheel in person or a picture of it to see if its patchable. I went the extreme route and ordered a wheel from their location since it require time for it to be shipped to their location in the scenario when they do see the tire that they MIGHT also deem it UNPATACHABLE. At least then I have a tire from them that they can swap out.

I would just patch it myself or go to the local tire shop. The whole is far away from sidewall and should be no problem to repair. You don't need a new wheel.
I feel the same as well since its far from it but bordering the line that was "deemed" not safe by them hence them quoting me 508 for a brand new wheel with only 11k miles on it with a car that's 7 months old

Another question. Has anyone dealt with Tesla Road Side/ Service center and said no to the quote of a tire repair?

What did you end up doing? Would they allow you to take your tire/wheel that has a hole in it with you so you can go find another tire repair shop while you had their spare wheel on your car ?

Discount Tire told me they needed to see the wheel in person or a picture of it to see if its patchable. I went the extreme route and ordered a wheel from their location since it require time for it to be shipped to their location in the scenario when they do see the tire that they also deem it UNPATACHABLE.
Are you using the term wheel and tire interchangeably? The wheel is made of alloy metal, does not usually need replacing unless severely damaged. The tire is made of rubber, easily punctured, may or may not be able to be patched/repaired.

Reactions: dc5itr888
Just got a email/ alert in the Tesla app, looks like they want $ 508.95 to replace the tire.

Has anyone dealt with a punctured tire and declined their tire replacement cost? I'd imagine that they wont patch it due to liability/ safety reason hence them recommending a brand new tire

Since I still have their spare gemini wheel, has anyone asked for their wheel back only to take it to get patched/ another shop for a brand new tire?
I patch it myself. Far less drama and cost.

Reactions: Dennisis
Another question. Has anyone dealt with Tesla Road Side/ Service center and said no to the quote of a tire repair?

What did you end up doing? Would they allow you to take your tire/wheel that has a hole in it with you so you can go find another tire repair shop while you had their spare wheel on your car ?
Tesla is not in the tire repair business. They would rather you replace the tire. (Your local Tesla Service Center can order a new tire for your Performance Model Y or you can purchase a replacement tire from a tire center.) The damaged wheel and tire is your property. The loaner wheel and tire becomes your property after 3 days unless you return the loaner to Tesla.

Are you using the term wheel and tire interchangeably? The wheel is made of alloy metal, does not usually need replacing unless severely damaged. The tire is made of rubber, easily punctured, may or may not be able to be patched/repaired.
You're right I am using it interchangeable. The alloy wheel has no issues. The tire is the issue.

Tesla is not in the tire repair business. They would rather you replace the tire. (Your local Tesla Service Center can order a new tire for your Performance Model Y or you can purchase a replacement tire from a tire center.) The damaged wheel and tire is your property. The loaner wheel and tire becomes your property after 3 days unless you return the loaner to Tesla.

They just called me back and said that it is not recommended to repair but Tesla is not in the repair business.

They told me I can pick up the wheel and have their spare gemini wheel for 48 hours. I will just need to take it to Discount tire to see if its patchable. If I cant get any appt I will just patch myself and bring it to them so Tesla can have their spare wheel back.

Reactions: jcanoe
Any tire shops can patch/fix that. It's like $15 - $20 10min job.
Don't "ask" tire shops "if this is patchable or fixable" they might play games with you.
I have been through a lot of punctures in my lifetime, and what I can see from your picture, it's not that bad.
This was from my 7 series and it was much longer once it was pulled out. They had to use 3-4 strips of those rubber plugs, and no leaks.
21.jpg

Any tire shops can patch/fix that. It's like $15 - $20 10min job.
Don't "ask" tire shops "if this is patchable or fixable" they might play games with you.
I have been through a lot of punctures in my lifetime, and what I can see from your picture, it's not that bad.
This was from my 7 series and it was much longer once it was pulled out. They had to use 3-4 strips of those rubber plugs, and no leaks.
View attachment 750480
Wow... that is no joke there.

UPDATE.

I went to the Service center and picked up my wheel. Going to find a tire shop to repair my tire to see what they say before I ask them anything. Hopefully they can just patch it but to me I dont think it was bad but again I have only dealt with a few tire punctures.

Thanks for everyones advice. I will post another update here once I go to a tire repair shop