Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure for performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dragstrip..sorry
I've been watching 'The Tesla Plaid Channel' on youtube. That guy has tons of experience and his tire pressure is usually 44psi warm which is probably 42psi cold. He explained that since there aren't any issues putting the power down, lowering the tire pressure could hurt trap speed.
I've been driving around at the recommended 42psi on the 19s which appear to be the right number.

I've been watching 'The Tesla Plaid Channel' on youtube. That guy has tons of experience and his tire pressure is usually 44psi warm which is probably 42psi cold. He explained that since there aren't any issues putting the power down, lowering the tire pressure could hurt trap speed.
I've been driving around at the recommended 42psi on the 19s which appear to be the right number.
There are issues. Hundredths lives matter. I need hard data. I am a numbers guy. Thanks for the reply though, all input is greatly appreciated.

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and Drew-MS
There are issues. Hundredths lives matter. I need hard data. I am a numbers guy. Thanks for the reply though, all input is greatly appreciated.
Fair enough... The Tesla Plaid Channel guy seems to know his sh*t. He did 1000 1/4 mile passes in his Model S Performance and 100+ passes so far in his 2 plaids.
Nothing to do with tire pressure; based on his videos, his plaid with 19s seem to accelerate a teeny bit faster than his plaid with 21s.

Fair enough... The Tesla Plaid Channel guy seems to know his sh*t. He did 1000 1/4 mile passes in his Model S Performance and 100+ passes so far in his 2 plaids.
Nothing to do with tire pressure; based on his videos, his plaid with 19s seem to accelerate a teeny bit faster than his plaid with 21s.
And know if I give you a hard time it’s for humor. I never mean anything by it. We all here to laugh, learn and enjoy.

Reactions: Drew-MS and Phlier
He explained that since there aren't any issues putting the power down
Dangit, Drew, I promise I'm not trying to argue with you... this is the second post in a row where I've quoted you and then questioned you. But actually, who I'm really questioning is the Tesla Plaid Channel guy, but since he's not here.... ;)

The problem with traction control launches is that you can be very easily deceived into believing there are no traction issues when in all actuality, there are. Especially with electric cars. On ICE vehicles, the traction control cannot react nearly as quickly to changing traction conditions as electric cars can. This means that you can usually still diagnose a "not enough traction" issue, even when using launch control. But again, that's on ICE cars.

Electric cars can sample the available traction and make power changes according to those samples very quickly. So quickly, that it can cover up situations in which acceleration is being limited by available traction... the problem is just covered up by the fact that traction control kept the tires from spinning.

This is why I think it would be great for Uncle Elon to make a "tire warmup" (read: burnout) mode available in Track Mode. A guy could put drag radials or slicks on the back of a Plaid, do a proper tire-warming burnout, and then make a pass with more traction than what you'd have available on the stock tires.

So really, I don't think anyone (including Mr. Tesla Plaid Channel) really knows at this point if the Plaid is traction limited. My personal opinion is that it is (I mean, my Gawd, putting down 1000 hp to regular street tires??? The car just *has* to be reducing power), but until/unless we can get a burnout mode to properly warm up drag racing tires, we'll never know.

Last edited:
Dangit, Drew, I promise I'm not trying to argue with you... this is the second post in a row where I've quoted you and then questioned you. But actually, who I'm really questioning is the Tesla Plaid Channel guy, but since he's not here.... ;)

The problem with traction control launches is that you can be very easily deceived into believing there are no traction issues when in all actuality, there are. Especially with electric cars. On ICE vehicles, the traction control cannot react nearly as quickly to changing traction conditions as electric cars can. This means that you can usually still diagnose a "not enough traction" issue, even when using launch control. But again, that's on ICE cars.

Electric cars can sample the available traction and make power changes according to those samples very quickly. So quickly, that it can cover up situations in which acceleration is being limited by available traction... the problem is just covered up by the fact that traction control kept the tires from spinning.

This is why I think it would be great for Uncle Elon to make a "tire warmup" (read: burnout) mode available in Track Mode. A guy could put drag radials or slicks on the back of a Plaid, do a proper tire-warming burnout, and then make a pass with more traction than what you'd have available on the stock tires.

So really, I don't think anyone (including Mr. Tesla Plaid Channel) really knows at this point if the Plaid is traction limited. My personal opinion is that it is (I mean, my Gawd, putting down 1000 hp to regular street tires??? The car just *has* to be reducing power), but until/unless we can get a burnout mode to properly warm up drag racing tires, we'll never know.
Fair enough, and no need to apologize lol. You're not even arguing and even if you were, this is a forum for discussions.
I've never been to a drag strip so whatever I mentioned regarding PSI/traction are his words or my observations from his videos.

Correct, full power isn't available off the line. Torque is electronically limited and full power isn't available until over 60mph (or 80mph.) The torque is impressive at all speeds but the car feels like it wants to get airborne when you stomp the pedal from about 60mph at 80%+ SOC. In my car, 60mph seems to be the sweet spot where the car feels most impressive (besides a launch.)

Yes a burnout mode would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
The torque is impressive at all speeds but the car feels like it wants to get airborne when you stomp the pedal from about 60mph at 80%+ SOC. In my car, 60mph seems to be the sweet spot where the car feels most impressive (besides a launch.)
You're really hitting all the right spots for this old drag racer!

My Model 3 Performance has done a pretty good job of scratching the itch until lately, but suddenly I feel like I've been hit with poison ivy...

Reactions: Drew-MS
The traction control is definitely coming in quite a bit. It is however nothing short of amazing. The g meter never lies. That being said the traction control will also keep parts alive. My goal is to keep the traction control at bay as much as possible. Accellerating a car this heavy is no small task. Now if someone has a set of rear 20 inch wheels near SC I got some 20 inch mickies that I am glad to test on the rear. And there is definitely some power reduction around 60mph which to me is odd because you are out of what I would consider the breakage zone. I also don’t think weight is gonna make as big of a difference as expected but more to come on that front.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Not plaid but raven last saturday at dragstrip I had to lower tire pressure down to 25-28 psi to stop spinning

Tires are
295/35 20 rear michelin pilot super sport
245/40 20 front pirelli pzero summer

Got 1.46 60ft time from that