Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Question for AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plan for the first replacement set of tires for my AWD has been to get Summer Pilot Sports in either 245 or 255.

The downsides are clear: decreased efficiency, increased road noise, speedometer inaccuracy, possible increased wear/cost, lack of suitability for winter.

The presumed benefit is more grip, which would improve handling.

My question: since the AWD is basically a de-tuned P3D, and that car does <3.5s (or is at least significantly quicker than the AWD) on all season 18s, does that mean the AWD is not tire-limited in terms of acceleration? I mean, if it can accelerate faster on the same rubber with more motor output, does it already have grip to spare?

Please, someone explain why I’m overthinking this and should definitely get the PSs!

I have AWD and I am getting the tires because I am unhappy with wet performance. I've had issues in accelerating, cornering and slipping on regen braking. Perhaps running at 45 psi is making it worse but I really dislike these tires. I have driven about 3,500 miles on these MXM4s. Historically I've been a summer and winter tire guy since 1996 so I'm not really used to all season tires on a car like this. I think it's really sad.
I am preparing to buy Sottozero 3 tires and wheels soon and PS4S tires this spring. Of course it rains often in Ohio so that means a lot to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: spesler
My question: since the AWD is basically a de-tuned P3D, and that car does <3.5s (or is at least significantly quicker than the AWD) on all season 18s, does that mean the AWD is not tire-limited in terms of acceleration? I mean, if it can accelerate faster on the same rubber with more motor output, does it already have grip to spare?

Please, someone explain why I’m overthinking this and should definitely get the PSs!
You are correct. Under normal traction conditions, LRD acceleration is not traction limited with any Tesla wheel/tire options. Acceleration is limited by the output of the motors (which is both software and hardware limited). Deceleration can be improved with stickier tires as the hydraulic brakes can certainly provide more stopping power than the tires can handle. Similarly, turning forces can be increased with stickier tires.

Last edited:
Get 235s. You can stick with stock tire diameter that way, and you'll get much better braking distances than the all seasons and some handling improvement as well.

Acceleration won't change, but you won't take as big a range hit as wider tires and won't have to worry about speedo being off or anything.