Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Rack now offering Model Y TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, You can get the TPMS sensors used in the Model S, X, and 3 from RockAuto for $47 each (The very early MS came with a "Baolong" sensor that was phased out in early 2014). Still, just an informed guess... If you can actually talk to someone at a service center, you could ask if they all use the same sensor (please post if you find out...).

It is not the same sensor. The aftermarket BLE sensors supposedly don’t work either. Search is your friend ;)

I bought a spare gemini tire (with wheel and hubcab ready) for my MY 2021 but no sensor/nut valve yet
Can I buy a TPMS for it and ask for installing?
How it synch to the car system when it shows only 4 current tires?
Please help
Thanks

Yes, I bought a set of wheels a while ago and chatted with a customer service rep to order Tesla TPMS (had to give him my VIN). Now they are officially showing it online, so no need to chat or call - super helpful but budget for extra TPMS as they're $95 apiece! ($380 for 4) since Tire Rack didn't show the price upfront.
I am looking at a set of Enkei wheels with VRedstein tires for the winter, when I go through the tirerack "configurator" it just tells me that they cannot install TPMS, either I have to have the tires delivered unmounted or mounted without TPMS. Am I missing something here in how I should be going about ordering?

Update - as seems to be my way when I try again after asking for help things go much better, I am currently looking at this package for my MYP, I'd be interested in comments, suggestions, thoughts etc. I wasn't asked for my VIN, I'm guessing that'll come later?

TireRackPackage.png

We officially offer these sensors:

No VIN on your end, automatically syncs up to all Model Y.

Danny

is it possible to NOT install the sensors for the winter wheel setup?
If you pay attention to your wheels and tires at least once a day or once a week, you don't really need the TPMS sensors.
I'll gladly pay ~$300 to not mess with my tires in the cold every morning or even once a week for three or more months out of the year. Also, the car will bitch at you every time you get in that you have a sensor issue. I wouldn't buy a car this expensive and then cheap out by not buying a couple hundred bucks in sensors that should like 5+ years.

We officially offer these sensors:

No VIN on your end, automatically syncs up to all Model Y.

Danny
How exactly do the 19" Martian wheels save a "massive 17 lbs per corner" ?

Aren't the stock Gemini's about 29 to 30 pounds? That means the Martian 19" wheels are about 12.5 pounds... yet they're advertised as 18.4-25 pounds based on size. I assume the 18.4 would be the 18 inch wheels. That probably puts the 19x9.5 Martian wheels at like 20 to 21 pounds which would be a savings of about 8 pounds per wheel, or about half what you guys are advertising.

I don't understand how it's been about a YEAR with these Martian wheels being released and there STILL is no clear advertised information on how much they weigh and how much weight savings they have over the stock wheels. I've avoid buying Martian wheels because of all the amazing specs they initially released and then rolled back on "well those were estimated weight savings" and "well that was a typo."

Grab a Gemini wheel with mounted tire and take a picture of it being weighed, then grab a 19x9.5 Martian wheel with same tire and take a picture of that being weighed. Slap them on your web site. Honest, accurate, transparent. It shouldn't be that hard when you're selling a ~$2200 wheel set to accurately describe the weight savings!

I would be so pissed if I spent that money thinking I was saving over 50% weight on each corner and it actually turned out to be like 35%. There is a big difference saving 17 pounds per corner vs ~9 pounds...

Edit: *Sigh* The 20x9.5 is even worse. Again, aren't the Inductions about 32 pounds? The 20x9.5 Martians are 25 pounds. 32-25 is 7. 7 pounds is not a 50% savings. That's a 24% savings. 7 pounds is also not "18 pounds per corner." To be 18 pounds those Induction wheels would have to be 43 pounds....

Last edited:
Thanks. That makes sense. I haven't bought a tire/wheel package from them so it didn't click. I just bought tires from them and picked up an extra set of wheels from ebay. I'm going to get the TPMS from Tesla and have them mount my winter tires for me. The Tesla winter tire package for the Y was like $3500. I bought a new set of X-Ice tires from TireRack for $1,100. A set of 19' Gemini wheels for $700 on ebay and $300 for the TPMS puts me at $2100. Seemed to be worth the savings.
I didn’t know Tesla can swap and mount the winter tires for you. Do you know how much they charge for this service?