Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire size question (19in to 18in)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Looking for some advice on wheels / tires for the Long Range Model Y

After having done some research into switching out the 19in Geminis for 18in wheels, I decided on going with the Replka R241s

I did some research into tires and sizing, and found that 235/55R18 seemed reasonable. I wanted to go with the Crossclimate2 (moderate temps in NC, with limited winter) for my year round. After ordering, Tire rack called me saying that the tires aren't rated for XL, and won't meet the load limits of the MY. I found that the 235/60R18 tires DO have XL ratings and asked them to switch out the order. They are a bit cheaper, so that's great.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the slightly larger tire diameter (adds 1.1in to the overall diameter of the tire from the default 255/45R19 tires). Using Tire Size Comparison for reference.

Would this increased diameter be an issue for the LR MY?

Delivery is next Friday! (yay)

I'm wanting to get wheels and tires mounted shortly after delivery (if all goes well)
Well, here's what it looks like on a Model 3. Going up 1.1" in diameter would rub or be very close to rubbing the spindle. The narrower tread from the 235 tires would help and the clearance or interference would also depend on the wheel offset.

d2eafd59-d96d-474b-bb69-30254c7ff6df-jpeg.521784

please keeps us posted I have been considering the same action on my awd long range MY

I ended up going with Crossclimate SUV tires. The model is older, but still has excellent reviews. The 235/55R18 size is XL rated in the SUV tire, so it seemed a better choice, since that size of tire is only a 0.7% size difference from default 255/45R19 tires

I ended up going with Crossclimate SUV tires. The model is older, but still has excellent reviews. The 235/55R18 size is XL rated in the SUV tire, so it seemed a better choice, since that size of tire is only a 0.7% size difference from default 255/45R19 tires

Any issues with the winters? I'm looking at the same size for next year and just wondering if you get an warning lights/errors and if regen is good/normal. I remember on the 3 people reporting regen issue when using not Tesla approved winters, but I think it was resolved with software (this was way back in 2018)