Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TireRack / Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’ve been trying to research this, but not being a wheel/tire expert, it’s proving very difficult. I hope someone here is smarter at this than I am or has experience running winter tires.

I have a Range Rover Sport I’m selling to get my Model X. A few years ago, I bought a wheel/tire set from TireRack:
Sport Edition WX5 : 19 x 8.5 with a 28MM Offset
Michelin Latitude X-ICE: 255/50/19

Will these work ok on the Model X?

1. They are narrower, which should be a good thing for winter tires?
2. The offset is different, not sure if this is within an acceptable range?
3. This set is not staggered. Not sure how necessary staggered tires are for winter tires?

FWIW, it looks like this setup is similar to the setup recommended by TireRack:
https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/roll...w-tires-should-you-get-for-your-tesla-model-x

Anybody have a similar setup or have comments on whether this should work?

Appreciate the help.

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to research this, but not being a wheel/tire expert, it’s proving very difficult. I hope someone here is smarter at this than I am or has experience running winter tires.

I have a Range Rover Sport I’m selling to get my Model X. A few years ago, I bought a wheel/tire set from TireRack:

3. This set is not staggered. Not sure how necessary staggered tires are for winter tires?

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/roll...w-tires-should-you-get-for-your-tesla-model-x

Appreciate the help.

1) The tire sizes are close but they’re off. In 19s the recommended would be a 265/50r19. Going to a 250 would alter the overall diameter as well - 1.4% smaller than the OEM 19s; 2.4% smaller than the OEM 20s in the rear, and 3.1% smaller than the rear 22s, all of which will affect the speedometer, handling dynamics, and potentially traction and stability software.

2) If you build out a winter package for the X, you’ll see the WX5s as a recommended wheel in the same 19x8.5 - 28mm offset. So according to Tirerack, it fits.

3) Non staggered is ok if they’re the right size. Tesla sells their 19s in a box setup as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Hi all,

Appreciate the help.

Simply NO.
The X is very fussy on tires. Avoid Continental at all costs.
I have now has Pirellis on the back for 10,000 miles. Amazing feel and wear.
Continentals were horrible. Had two blowouts. Lasted only 23,000 miles.
About to replace my fronts soon with Pirellis.
Go to the TireRack installer list near you and negotiate a deal with them or ship them and use installer.
This says it all.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=645HR0SVASPXL&tab=Sizes

$220 vs $400 each at Tesla and usually Tesla only offers Continentals