Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Member Reviews Model 3 After 16 Years Driving Porsche

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Member pnoble has been loyal to Porsche for 16 years, but the Tesla Model 3 Performance lured him away.

After spending a bit of time with his new ride, pnoble put together a detailed comparison of his Porsche and Tesla experiences. In short – he doesn’t miss the Porsche much.

Here’s the review from pnoble:

I have driven a silver 911 C4S for 16 years, models: 997.1, 997.2, 991.1, 991.2 and two weeks ago I switched to a Tesla 3 Performance. I had wondered what to expect but couldn’t find any posts anywhere on making the change; only YouTube 911/Tesla 3P drag race videos!So, for anyone considering the move and for Tesla 3 Performance owners wondering if they made the right choice (they did!) or what they might be missing (not a whole lot in IMHO!), here are some initial thoughts.Firstly my own profile since that obviously colors my perspective: I am strictly an on-road driver. I have never been on a race track. I am a pretty aggressive, disciplined, reasonably responsible driver with a Valentine 1 who never exceeds 100 mph but is often driving over 80 mph on the highway and spends a fair amount of time navigating around my fellow NJ drivers! I have been ticket-free for the past ten years or so. I love to drive. I have never used cruise control, ever.I loved my 911s for all the obvious reasons. They are beautiful sensual cars, especially from the back, exquisitely made and far, far in excess, at least roadholding performance-wise, of anything I ever put them through. My first and second were stick-shift and there was something wonderful about the experience of moving through the exquisite gear box. When they added a seventh gear I gave up and switched to PDK which was wonderful. I never once used the paddles. I kept my 911 in sports mode, always.I leased all four cars and persuaded myself I wasn’t actually paying for all the options. Of course, I was! The sumptuous leather interior, the fantastic Burmester sound system, the PASM, the auto leveling, the four wheel steering in the last one…..everything is extra in a Porsche. Everything.I never got the sports exhaust which, as someone who despises Harley riders assaulting my ears, I thought was totally obnoxious. And not once did I try launch control. I couldn’t imagine sitting at the traffic light gunning my engine to 4,000 RPM with the other foot on the brake. And, honestly, everything about the car was probably a bit obnoxious for anyone looking at mine, especially when I passed them in the right lane at 90. Even driving at 30 mph in our no-sidewalk neighborhood, people walking their dogs would wag their finger at me because although I was not driving fast my car always sounded fast.Anyhow, the lease was nearly up on my 991.2 and my dealer was asking when I was going to order the 992. With the options I was used to, nothing crazy but this is a 911, the list on it was close to $140K and the lease payment was going to be in the range of $2,200 a month.And so…..with five clicks (including a double click for the deposit) I ordered and bought a Tesla 3 Performance! (Fun fact: ordering my Apple Watch took ten clicks on their web site!)So here is my take on the car in comparison to the 911.

Read the full post here.