Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To wrap or not to wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• PPF & Opti Coat Ceramic coating installation  .jpg
    PPF & Opti Coat Ceramic coating installation .jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 111
  • PPF & Opti Coat Pro Plus.jpg
    PPF & Opti Coat Pro Plus.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 76
  • PPF & Opti Coat Pro Plus.jpg
    PPF & Opti Coat Pro Plus.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 80
Yeah I don't want to spend an arm and a leg here, as much as I will love this car - I intended to do as much maintenance work as myself.

I've decided (for now) to get a partial wrap, might get full hood - but forego the ceramic coat

Thanks for the very informative post.

What do you think of the retail products coming out that boast nano / ceramic spray ons like Mcguiars, HydroSilex and I think a new one from Adams recently. Are these any good?

They can be awesome top coats! I wouldn't trust them to replace a traditional ceramic coating but it would be safe to think of them as an extremely well performing spray wax.

After quite some deliberation and shopping around I decided to get a full wrap of XPEL Ultimate Plus for our Model 3 once it is delivered next week.

I know it will cost a pretty penny, but knowing how our Touran looked after seven years and lots of driving on the Autobahn, with all those nicks on the hood from stone chips, I decided the additional protection would be worth it this time round.

We have even decided to get partial PPF for our e-Golf.

After quite some deliberation and shopping around I decided to get a full wrap of XPEL Ultimate Plus for our Model 3 once it is delivered next week.

I know it will cost a pretty penny, but knowing how our Touran looked after seven years and lots of driving on the Autobahn, with all those nicks on the hood from stone chips, I decided the additional protection would be worth it this time round.

We have even decided to get partial PPF for our e-Golf.

I don't think you can really go wrong with modern PPF and a good installer.

What happened after 7 years with your Touran? Did you get the PPF removed / replaced? That's the only thing I worry about...is yellowing PPF and then issues with removal.

I have the SR+ black on order - like every other Tesla owner, it cost a pretty penny and I want to keep it ding and scratch free for as long as possible.

I had to research everything about washing, waxing, clear coats, ceramic coating and PPF - as honestly i didn't do much for my current car (read nothing).

I don't have the budget to spend on a full body wrap (PPF?), I've been looking at a local shop that does a partial "ClearBra"? (partial hood, fender, mirrors) and it's quite affordable. Whereas another shop that does Expel PPF is a lot more expensive.

Will this a partial be enough, with regular cleaning / waxing to keep the car in showroom like condition?

For cleaning / waxing - I've been looking at ONR wash + wax - it seems like it's a very popular and I can use it in the winter, in my garage.

I welcome any tips / advice, and thank you in advance.

-- An excited, soon to be Model 3 driver :)
C77EF6C4-9292-41C3-A52F-91E42A418393.jpeg

Wrap it plus ceramic coating.
I didn’t do it on my first Model S.
Just Carnaba Wax, ONR...
I really regretted not doing it.
We now have a 2018 Model S & a 2018 Model 3 that were both driven straight from Tesla Delivery to the detailer. Really happy I did. Both cars look showroom new after a wash. My deadlier recommended I use P & S Bead Maker. Incredible stuff.
Watch video I posted on how I wash our Teslas.
Tesla Car Wash !!!

Last edited:
View attachment 384183
Wrap it plus ceramic coating.
I didn’t do it on my first Model S.
Just Carnaba Wax, ONR...
I really regretted not doing it.
We now have a 2018 Model S & a 2018 Model 3 that were both driven straight from Tesla Delivery to the detailer. Really happy I did. Both cars look showroom new after a wash. My deadlier recommended I use P & S Bead Maker. Incredible stuff.
Watch video I posted on how I wash our Teslas.
Tesla Car Wash !!!

Thanks for sharing, looks amazing! Do you know what happens in 5-6 years to the wraps, I imagine over a long period of time they will get quite beat up and some perforations may occur, I've heard of yellowing on 3M products as well.

To be honest, I just can't afford a full wrap - I'll probably end up doing the most susceptible areas a partial front wrap, and a retail ceramic coating. I'll probably regret it down the road, but will have to do my best maintaining and protecting the clear coat / paint.

I've heard great things about P&S Bead Maker, and was debating between that, and HydroSilex which is a ceramic spray on application that is supposed to be super easy to use and lasts longer than a sealant. In your case you'd be more interested in shine, for me, whatever protection I can get without having to go to a detailer I'll have to live with :)

The HydroSilex product you mentioned seems to be more of a soft top coat. For ceramic coating you want to have a super hard base coat then a top coat on top of the base coat. I did my car with the Gyeon Syncro kit and am very happy with the results.

Thanks for sharing, looks amazing! Do you know what happens in 5-6 years to the wraps, I imagine over a long period of time they will get quite beat up and some perforations may occur, I've heard of yellowing on 3M products as well.

To be honest, I just can't afford a full wrap - I'll probably end up doing the most susceptible areas a partial front wrap, and a retail ceramic coating. I'll probably regret it down the road, but will have to do my best maintaining and protecting the clear coat / paint.

I've heard great things about P&S Bead Maker, and was debating between that, and HydroSilex which is a ceramic spray on application that is supposed to be super easy to use and lasts longer than a sealant. In your case you'd be more interested in shine, for me, whatever protection I can get without having to go to a detailer I'll have to live with :)
Haven’t heard much on film degradation. It’s tough stuff. I have Suntek Ultra
Paint Protection Film Ultra
and Gyeon Quartz
The beauty of Bead Maker is that it can go on top of any coating, ceramic, wax, sealant or bare paint. On plastic, rubber, glass...
Only lasts 60 days. My detailer told me it will extend the life of the ceramic coating. It really seems to make washing easier...
I can’t imagine anyone trying it who wouldn’t be blown away.

We've been installing paint protection film for a long time, and we've seen how far the industry has come in recent years. While this used to be a problem for older products, modern films are highly durable and resistant to yellowing. Most clear bras come with a 5 to 10 year warranty against yellowing, so if anything happens you should be able to get it replaced.

I don't think you can really go wrong with modern PPF and a good installer.

What happened after 7 years with your Touran? Did you get the PPF removed / replaced? That's the only thing I worry about...is yellowing PPF and then issues with removal.

Actually we never had PPF on any of our cars up to now. That's why the Touran had so many nicks and scratches in the first place.
We got it sold anyway, even though it had one of those VW emissions-cheating Diesel engines. Other than that it was a great car and especially my wife was sad at first to see it go. Now otoh that she has been driving the e-Golf for almost a month, she is totally sold on BEVs. Until a few weeks ago I would never have though that to be possible. :)

Front End wrapped with Xpel, hood, fenders, bumper, lights, fog lights, side mirrors, door handles, rocker panel and rear trunk area where luggage can possibly scratch it. Company in San Diego called Auto Armour. Cost is 1850.00 plus 450.00 for the rocker panels. Job well done, can’t tell that the ride is wrapped with Xpel.

Fred

C2D89194-CFE6-4A9E-8D6C-001B22F8011E.jpeg

Reactions: Dana1
Front End wrapped with Xpel, hood, fenders, bumper, lights, fog lights, side mirrors, door handles, rocker panel and rear trunk area where luggage can possibly scratch it. Company in San Diego called Auto Armour. Cost is 1850.00 plus 450.00 for the rocker panels. Job well done, can’t tell that the ride is wrapped with Xpel.

Hi Fred -

See my thread: XPEL Stealth satin finish PPF easy to maintain ?

Scroll down to Post #8 by Xpel and there are directions to receive a sample of Xpel's new Ceramic Boost Spray and T-Shirt.

I received the Xpel Ceramic Boost Spray last week and tried it out last weekend after washing and prepping the surface with a Clay Mitt (okayed by Xpel). The surface of the Xpel ppf is now really slick and smooth.

Hi Fred -

See my thread: XPEL Stealth satin finish PPF easy to maintain ?

Scroll down to Post #8 by Xpel and there are directions to receive a sample of Xpel's new Ceramic Boost Spray and T-Shirt.

I received the Xpel Ceramic Boost Spray last week and tried it out last weekend after washing and prepping the surface with a Clay Mitt (okayed by Xpel). The surface of the Xpel ppf is now really slick and smooth.

Thanks!