Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Literal worst water/mineral spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my ‘22 Model 3 LR for over a year and most of that time I was a dumb dumb and washed with super hard water at my house (well water) without properly drying. I’ve since purchased a hose faucet filter.

Recently I got an exterior detail and ceramic coating for $700 and unfortunately even with the strongest chemicals the man couldn’t remove the water spots completely from my partial PPF sections and the glass! I just tried some ONR in warm water tonight and that didn’t do anything. Maybe I’ll try nearly boiling water next. I tried invisible glass on the windows/roof and that did nothing. Also tried distilled vinegar. I think I’m *sugar* out of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.jpeg
    IMG_5048.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5049.jpeg
    IMG_5049.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 72
Interesting that you took it to a detailer and they couldn’t get the water spots off?
If chemicals don’t work, you could always go for the orbital buffer and compound to try and remove the water spots.
But, you’d think the detailer you took your car to would have buffed them off if the chemicals didn’t work.

Reactions: ucmndd
Interesting that you took it to a detailer and they couldn’t get the water spots off?
If chemicals don’t work, you could always go for the orbital buffer and compound to try and remove the water spots.
But, you’d think the detailer you took your car to would have buffed them off if the chemicals didn’t work. To be clear, he did remove the spots from the rest of the car, just not the partial PPF parts and the roof/rear glass.
Yeah, took it to a local guy who polished my car + added ceramic coating afterwards. He said he went to a local detail shop and asked for the strongest chemical they had to remove water spots and even that didn't work. To be clear, he did remove the spots from the rest of the car just not the partial PPF parts and the roof/rear glass.

Last edited:
If it’s on the PPF looks like your only choice is to replace the PPF since you can’t buff PPF.
I know your detailer tried chemicals, so I’m assuming this wouldn’t work? Worked pretty well to get water spots off my Model 3.

Chemical Guys SPI10816 Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover, Safe for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, RVs & More, 16 fl oz

I’ve had my ‘22 Model 3 LR for over a year and most of that time I was a dumb dumb and washed with super hard water at my house (well water) without properly drying. I’ve since purchased a hose faucet filter.

Recently I got an exterior detail and ceramic coating for $700 and unfortunately even with the strongest chemicals the man couldn’t remove the water spots completely from my partial PPF sections and the glass! I just tried some ONR in warm water tonight and that didn’t do anything. Maybe I’ll try nearly boiling water next. I tried invisible glass on the windows/roof and that did nothing. Also tried distilled vinegar. I think I’m *sugar* out of luck.
Two suggestions to try, first there is a product called Bio Clean Hard Water Stain Remover (Amazon) or here, CRL Bio-Clean Water Stain Remover | CRL. I have used this on my glass shower for years, it works great at breaking down the mineral deposits. Second is glass top stove cleaner, I like Bio Clean better but stove top cleaner is cheaper. The other thing to consider is after time, the minerals will etch into the glass and there is no removing those.