Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Mont Tremblant trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting - I see that the recommended route is through Perth, so on Highway 7 (which is mostly one lane per direction). I had assumed that 401 to Brockville, then 416->417 is the better route (a little longer but at higher speed). Probably a matter of traffic? Also a slower speed favours EV consumption, perhaps?
Yes, absolutely, Highway 7 is not a four lane - it is just a slightly-improved standard country highway. So speeds are slower and there is, frankly, not much opportunity for passing. On the other hand, driving the 401 generally is not a pleasure, with its absence of interesting scenery, heavy traffic and being constantly boxed in by transport trucks. Although the speed on Highway 7 is slower, there are two advantages. Highway 7 is slightly more direct, with the route being on a diagonal to Ottawa. And, more to the point, coming from Burlington Highway 7 hooks up well with Highway 407 via Highway 115 allowing you to bypass Toronto traffic if you are willing to pay the toll. So overall I think that Highway 7 is faster, perhaps even considerably faster than the 401, depending on how bad traffic is around Toronto. Yes you have to slow down on Highway 7, but just relax and enjoy the scenery for that portion of the trip.

Reactions: catman44 and Shaz
Yes, absolutely, Highway 7 is not a four lane - it is just a slightly-improved standard country highway. So speeds are slower and there is, frankly, not much opportunity for passing. On the other hand, driving the 401 generally is not a pleasure, with its absence of interesting scenery, heavy traffic and being constantly boxed in by transport trucks. Although the speed on Highway 7 is slower, there are two advantages. Highway 7 is slightly more direct, with the route being on a diagonal to Ottawa. And, more to the point, coming from Burlington Highway 7 hooks up well with Highway 407 via Highway 115 allowing you to bypass Toronto traffic if you are willing to pay the toll. So overall I think that Highway 7 is faster, perhaps even considerably faster than the 401, depending on how bad traffic is around Toronto. Yes you have to slow down on Highway 7, but just relax and enjoy the scenery for that portion of the trip.
Pretty sure the Highway 7 is faster. Definitely more scenic also.

Reactions: catman44