TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Toronto to Tobermory

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tsarlsy, Jan 31, 2015.

1. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

Has anyone travelled to Tobermory in warmer weather? According to Plugshare, the closest charging station is about an hour away (Best Western). This is not ideal as we intend to lodge in Tobermory. Any ideas on how to plan this trip? I may have to settle for a trip on an ICE. :scared:

2. bsd

bsd Member

Where are you staying? Cabin, hotel?

I haven't been to Tobermory yet, but have stated outside of Collingwood and on Pelee Island. I was in Collingwood over 5 days and managed to charge to full using just a 110v (incl some local driving during the day time).

On Pelee Island I used a long NEMA 14-50 extension cord and plugged into the stove plug.

3. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

Most likely hotel but would be flexible. How did you manage with the extension cords - route them through open windows overnight?

Also realized they have RV parks there so will probably check how I can use their 50A service.

4. bsd

bsd Member

That's right. I had to dial back the amperage on the car as the car would blow the breaker.

5. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Among other things, Tobermory is a big scuba diving location. Sounds like one of the establishments there should be recommended for the Tesla destination charging program.
    I haven't been there yet in my tesla.

6. kbeckley

kbeckley Member

I took my 85 up there last June. Got there from Collingwood and back to Collingwood on one charge (in one day). You could get there from the Barrie Supercharger but would have to charge up there to get back. We have a 14-50 in Collingwood that is on plugshare.

7. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

Thanks. Good to know!