Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque distribution between front and rear for dual motor model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% rear unless traction or requested amount of accelleration calls for assist from the front motor.

Only moderate to heavy accelleration seems to engage the front motor from my experience. This is how Tesla gets such great efficiency is that the front motor is not used most of the time. Front motor is smaller and less powerful than the rear unit.

Also, there is no distribution of torque or power since there is no ICE. It's all computer controlled and each motor puts out its own power and torque based on what the computer calls for from each.

Now the off road assist function will try to mimic a 4x4 system by matching output from each motor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great to know all this details. I checked tread depth on my 2023 model Y LR, which has 3500 miles so far. Front tires are at 8+/32nd and rear tires at 8-/32nd. I have stock tires and inflated to 44psi cold. This does support your observation of rear wheel driving dynamics. So we need to rotate tire every 7500 miles.

Upvote 0
If only they had made a long range RWD variant.

Best of both worlds.

Plenty of power like in the SR, and the larger battery like in the LR.

More range and still plenty of power, due to not having to carry the extra weight of the front motor and drivetrain.
Not according to this listing when there was specifications for LR RWD.

Upvote 0
If only they had made a long range RWD variant.

Best of both worlds.

Plenty of power like in the SR, and the larger battery like in the LR.

More range and still plenty of power, due to not having to carry the extra weight of the front motor and drivetrain.
Wouldn’t that probably be more cost effective for Tesla to have a model like that. I think they’d have a higher margin

Upvote 0