Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a 2022 model 3 dual motor. At 8k I had tires rotated. Yesterday took car in to have tires rotated again at 17k do I need to have an alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Bobo818 Were your tire rotations simply front<->back, such that wheels never moved between sides of the car, and now after latest rotation all wheels are back at their original locations?

What are your tire tread depths at all 4 corners, measuring inner, middle, and outer tread?

Can you share the numbers sheet from your last alignment?

If you've never gotten your Model 3 aligned, it's probably worth doing. I've seen many reports here of bad alignment on brand new cars at delivery time, especially toe.

I would ask the alignment shop to aim for minimal tire wear. The official toe specs from Tesla are considered too lenient and can allow for excessive wear. Search these forums for more details and recommend numbers to request.

Reactions: Bobo818
Upvote 0
@Bobo818 Were your tire rotations simply front<->back, such that wheels never moved between sides of the car, and now after latest rotation all wheels are back at their original locations?

What are your tire tread depths at all 4 corners, measuring inner, middle, and outer tread?

Can you share the numbers sheet from your last alignment?

If you've never gotten your Model 3 aligned, it's probably worth doing. I've seen many reports here of bad alignment on brand new cars at delivery time, especially toe.

I would ask the alignment shop to aim for minimal tire wear. The official toe specs from Tesla are considered too lenient and can allow for excessive wear. Search these forums for more details and recommend numbers to request.
Thank you! I have never had tires aligned. Will ask the tire company thee questions you outlined as I do not know.

Upvote 0
Alignment involves adjusting the suspension and steering, not the tires. Some tire shops do alignments but many don't. I get my tires and alignments at different shops.

For tread depth I suggest getting your own gauge and measuring it yourself. A basic pen gauge is dirt cheap. A nicer gauge with a dial for easier, more accurate readings is still pretty cheap ($15-$25 ish).

Reactions: Bobo818
Upvote 0
Alignment involves adjusting the suspension and steering, not the tires. Some tire shops do alignments but many don't. I get my tires and alignments at different shops.

For tread depth I suggest getting your own gauge and measuring it yourself. A basic pen gauge is dirt cheap. A nicer gauge with a dial for easier, more accurate readings is still pretty cheap ($15-$25 ish).
Thank you very much! I will look at a shop that specializes in alignments. And order a gauge.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much! I will look at a shop that specializes in alignments. And order a gauge.
The only alignment angle that can be adjusted in the stock suspension is toe, which is the direction that the front tires are pointing when the steering wheel is centered. This is done via an adjustment in the steering linkage.

Camber and caster cannot be adjusted, nor should there be a need to adjust these angles in a stock suspension.

Upvote 0
The only alignment angle that can be adjusted in the stock suspension is toe, which is the direction that the front tires are pointing when the steering wheel is centered. This is done via an adjustment in the steering linkage.

Camber and caster cannot be adjusted, nor should there be a need to adjust these angles in a stock suspension.
Wow this is great information. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0
My stock Michelins unevenly wore out on the driver side inside tread of the tires after 30k miles. I put new Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 tires on and took it to a Tesla SC to have it aligned. Left toe was adjusted. I have over 50k miles on the Conti's with minimal driver side inside tire wear. I still have about 10k of life left in the tires. Get an alignment if your tires wear unevenly.

Upvote 0

The service manual has the procedures to follow if the camber or caster needs to be adjusted at: Model Y Service Manual | Tesla

Since Tesla is kind enough to supply service manuals, it is really easier to look procedures up in there instead of just making up stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Gasaraki
Upvote 0
The service manual has the procedures to follow if the camber or caster needs to be adjusted at: Model Y Service Manual | Tesla

Since Tesla is kind enough to supply service manuals, it is really easier to look procedures up in there instead of just making up stuff.
Since we're discussing the model 3, not the model Y, let's reference the correct service procedure: Model 3 Service Manual | Four Wheel Alignment Check and Adjust

Admittedly I did not read through the alignment adjustment procedure when I installed my coilovers since I don't have the equipment to measure and perform an alignment anyway. I always take my cars in for an alignment after performing my own suspension work. I also mark the location of all of the fasteners before removing them to minimize unintentional misalignment.

Regardless, I stand corrected. Camber, caster, and toe can be adjusted on all four wheels. My earlier statement that they cannot was based on my observation that the suspension lacks obvious adjustment controls aside from the steering linkage tie rods.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and rpiotro
Upvote 0
Lol. The only adjustments to camber and caster is playing with the slop/stacking tolerances. Which is exactly what the manual shows, and is very minimal. To get any meaningful camber or caster changes, you'll need to go to the aftermarket for solutions.
Correct. Front toe is the only alignment angle for which there's a deliberate adjustment feature. Adjustment of the other alignment angles is done by loosening suspension bolts and playing with manufacturing tolerances.

Upvote 0