Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Newbie Question - Supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
total newbie here too (so thanks to original person for asking this question so I could also learn!)

Follow up question.... IS THIS TRUE?! No petrol to make a full tank heavy, but the full battery slows you down?? is it a physics, weight thing? is a full battery 'heavy' or is it the way the computer is choosing to use the available charge - this is something I would never have expected! This could be a really stupid question.... but I'm really curious!
LukeUK has already given the answer & I will just add that unlike a fuel car which will be slightly slower when full/faster when near empty, a Tesla will have the fastest acceleration with a higher charge & as the level drops towards 20, 15, 10% etc it will automatically reduce the available performance. So in many ways, the reverse of an ICE car.

It will also recommend a maximum speed to enable you to reach the next supercharger/nav destination (we did a mammoth journey in 2019 from Idaho->Nevada->California in my Daughters fully laden Model X: 4 adults, child, dog, luggage etc with six supercharger stops & on the longest leg we had to drive at ~25mph for the last few miles to arrive with less than 2% battery, it constantly recalculates for you).

Reactions: M3-Newbie