Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TOU plans make a world of difference!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you live in the City of Los Angeles or in an outlying area? pretty important when comparing TOU rates as the DWP TOU rates are different. I am unaware of any other power utility in the City of Los Angeles other than DWP.

All things equal, I like the idea of TOU plans because they are (in theory) grid friendly. As more and more people get EV's we will need to be conscious of optimizing how we use the grid. Coming home and starting your charge at 6pm just because you have a flat rate is not ideal.

Using those rates, your bill this month would have been $157.5 (339*.18+402*.24), so TOU saved you $47.91 (you paid $109.59 instead of $157.5). When summer comes, keep an eye on how much your AC uses during peak hours (you'll be paying $.336 per KWh instead of $.24, unless of course you would have crossed into high usage without TOU).

So non-TOU is is more expensive than higest peak TOU rate ($.46 vs. $.336), or are your TOU rates different than the OP.

My peak TOU is .46, current tier rates are .18 .23 .40 so in my case they TOU is higher, however overall savings will depend on how much you use during the super off peak, .12 .26 .46, generally EV users will save a lot with TOU, since most people charge their cars while they sleep. Depending how much you drive it can be easy to use much more electricity charging your car than your home would use for the day.

The Baseline allocation will differ in cities here so OP's allocation will be different from mine and also will depend if your home is all electric or electric/gas. To make things even more challenging we have many TOU plans, 6 different ones, however 1 requires a dedicated meter for EV charging which most people will not qualify for, or need the expense of adding a meter.

Can you tell us how much you save? I did some comparison with PG&E on ToU and did not find much savings (a few dollars not going to make me do anything), did you find savings for more than 10 dollars a month? I mean I do not want to do my laundry after 11:00PM to save a few dollars. I drive less than 2000 miles a year so it is not like I need to charge it everyday. I definitely would switch if the savings is meaningful like more than 20 dollars a month, I am also opt in for 100% renewable so not sure if it even makes any difference with ToU.

My general savings is $10-20 a month. I generally use my timer on my washing machine and have it ready for me when I wake up. If you don't drive a lot, and use a lot of AC in the summer, some cases TOU can cost more. You really have to do the math to see if it's worth it for you. For SCE we can call them and they can compare the rates to let you know the savings for past months.

• Informative
Reactions: SaveOurPlanet